Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com> on 2007/08/11 00:19:49 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Rotate logs for compression but keep them forever

Richard Edward Horner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm sorry this is really a logrotate question but I don't think there
>is a logrotate mailing list :) Besides, this is for apache logs and I
>bet someone here knows the answer!
>
>I'm running a very high volume website and I'd like to rotate the logs
>daily so that I can compress them (.bz2) but all logrotate
>configurations I've seen only keep so many old logs. I'd like to keep
>the old logs forever. Afterall, I managed to compress 14.5GB of logs
>down to 555MB with bzip2.
>
>Is there a simple way to do this? I know if I set rotate to 0 that's
>going to keep 0 old logs. What if I just omit the rotate directive in
>/etc/logrotate.d/apache2 altogether? Any other ideas? I'd rather not
>just set rotate to a really huge number but I will if it comes down to
>it.
>
>I'm running an up to date Debian Etch system with apache 2.2.3-4 and
>logrotate 3.7.1-3.

Think outside of Apache.

Write a script in the language of your choice to do the log
compression and move the log files to an archive directory of your choice.

Run that script as a cron job that happens shortly after the logs are rotated.

Dragon

Re: [users@httpd] Rotate logs for compression but keep them forever

Posted by Richard Edward Horner <ri...@richhorner.com>.
Ohh, good call. BASH + cron :)

I just figured this functionality had to exist somewhere already. Plus
I like to use the simplest solution for everything so that the next
person who might have to deal with it doesn't have to decipher what is
going on.

Thanks, Rich(ard)

On 8/10/07, Dragon <dr...@crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
> Richard Edward Horner wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm sorry this is really a logrotate question but I don't think there
> >is a logrotate mailing list :) Besides, this is for apache logs and I
> >bet someone here knows the answer!
> >
> >I'm running a very high volume website and I'd like to rotate the logs
> >daily so that I can compress them (.bz2) but all logrotate
> >configurations I've seen only keep so many old logs. I'd like to keep
> >the old logs forever. Afterall, I managed to compress 14.5GB of logs
> >down to 555MB with bzip2.
> >
> >Is there a simple way to do this? I know if I set rotate to 0 that's
> >going to keep 0 old logs. What if I just omit the rotate directive in
> >/etc/logrotate.d/apache2 altogether? Any other ideas? I'd rather not
> >just set rotate to a really huge number but I will if it comes down to
> >it.
> >
> >I'm running an up to date Debian Etch system with apache 2.2.3-4 and
> >logrotate 3.7.1-3.
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> Think outside of Apache.
>
> Write a script in the language of your choice to do the log
> compression and move the log files to an archive directory of your choice.
>
> Run that script as a cron job that happens shortly after the logs are rotated.
>
> Dragon

Richard Edward Horner
Engineer / Composer / Electric Guitar Virtuoso
rich@richhorner.com
http://richhorner.com - updated June 28th

[users@httpd] binary .so for mod_proxy_html version 3???

Posted by Jeff Murch <jm...@cox.net>.
I can't get mod_proxy_html to compile on RHEL4.  I have 2.x running fine but
need to control the character set output which 3 does. Does anyone know of a
source to get this binary?

Jeff