Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Maya N <ma...@cycos.com> on 2010/02/05 11:59:38 UTC

POI: column-wide trigger

I am new to apache POI and I cannot find the way to generate a xls file using
only POI which implements the standard Excel feature Conditional Formatting
-> Highlight Cell Rules -> Duplicate Values.

All I can do is to create a certain amount of Conditional Formatting Rules
and bind them to a fixed number of cells (e.g. 200). This will provide the
necessary functionality only for these (200) cells but marking only the
second cell which contains a duplicate value highlighted (not all duplicate
values will be really highlighted, once a duplicate is entered only it will
be formatted). I need to be able to format all duplicate values in a certain
column.

My question is: Is it possible to create a column-wide trigger which will
automatically add the formatting to newly filled cells, and recalculate all
the conditional formatting for all already-filled cells in that column.

Re: POI: column-wide trigger

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Well, the obvious answer that springs to ind is to base the file that you
create with POI on a template that is created using Excel.

If you know in advance which column(s) must feature the duplicate
highlighting, then use Excel to create a template file where you have
applied this rule to the column. Open that file using POI and populate it
with data. I am confident (well, fairly confident) that POI will pass
through the rule from templte to completed file.

Yours

Mark B