Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Mutchler <so...@leibnizcreations.com> on 2003/05/18 21:29:42 UTC

[users@httpd] premature end of headers script error

I am running moveabletype on one of my subhosts, and for whatever
reason, the .cgi scripts will not execute properly on it.  I have it
working just fine for my main domain, it is just the subhost that it
will not function for.

Here is the VirtualHost tag I have in my httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost 198.173.254.123:80>
        User amy
        Group www
        ServerAlias mutchlerfamily.org www.mutchlerfamily.org
        ServerName mutchlerfamily.org
        ServerAdmin amy@mutchlerfamily.org
        DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/html
        ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/logs/error_log
        <Directory "/usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/html">
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes
ExecCGI
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

</VirtualHost>

I also have the AddHandler line setup for .cgi scripts, and it is
working.  I have tried having the above <Directory> tag inside and out
of the VirtualHost declaration ... it still won't work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as this has got me pretty well
stumped.  Oh, I am running version:

Server version: Apache/1.3.27 OpenSSL/0.9.6i (Unix)
FreeBSD leibnizcreations.com 4.7-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p7 #18:
Thu Mar 27 12:46:12 MST 2003     root@fc2:/usr/src/sys/compile/VKERN
i386

--
chris mutchler
soukihei@leibnizcreations.com

Re: [users@httpd] premature end of headers script error

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.
Chris Mutchler wrote:
> I am running moveabletype on one of my subhosts, and for whatever
> reason, the .cgi scripts will not execute properly on it.  I have it
> working just fine for my main domain, it is just the subhost that it
> will not function for.
<snip>

Okay, I've found it has NOTHING to do with your settings. What you need
to do is open the file, go to the VERY end. There will be an extra
whitespace line at the end of the file, what you need to do is go to it,
backspace to the last line of actualy type, save and exit. That's the
only solution that I know of.

RE: [users@httpd] premature end of headers script error

Posted by Chris Mutchler <so...@leibnizcreations.com>.
I managed to get this working yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately, I
still don't know why it is working.  Here is what I did:

1.  I moved my "main" domain out of /usr/local/apache/htdocs and placed
it in /usr/local/apache/vhosts/domainname

2.  I then moved my problematic subhost into /usr/local/apache/htdocs.

Surprisingly enough, both domains now work just fine.  I still think it
is a really hacked-up way to have it running, but it does.  The only
thing I can think of, is that the development team for our platform
munged something up and didn't realize it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <jo...@charter.net>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Hi Chris,

Try this:

         ServerAlias www.mutchlerfamily.org
         ServerAdmin amy@mutchlerfamily.org
         DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/html
         ErrorLog /usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/logs/error_log
         <Directory /usr/local/apache/mutchlerfamily/html>
	    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
	    Options +ExecCGI -Indexes
	    Order allow,deny
	    Allow from all
         </Directory>
Also make sure that you know where perl executable is located in your
system, type whereis perl and you'll find it and put it as your first line
in your script, just like that:
#!/usr/sbin/perl

All the best,
Jeff Cohen