Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/19 19:13:31 UTC

[Android] window.history vs navigator.app.history

Hey

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to how web history should
work, how it works now and what people should be doing with web
history.  Currently, we have two web history APIs.  One of which is
the shim that was put in to get around the old URI error, and the
other is the web browser history.  For some reason, we're still using
the shim instead of the web browser history by default because it
works better with the apps that have already been deployed.  However,
I would like to see web history adopted because of the following
reasons:

1. Consistency across browser
2. Fixes issues with iFrames on Android
3. Work-around no longer fixes the issue for 3.x and 4.0.x, since a
fix for the hash and param problem was merged back in 1.9.0

That being said, it's entirely possible that we're doing something
wrong with web history as it is, and based on the recent feedback from
people who don't understand how open source works (public mail good,
private mail bad), I think we should bring this up again.

Thoughts?

Joe

Re: [Android] window.history vs navigator.app.history

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
OK, there was a bug in the history.  I fixed it, and we should be able
to properly use the back button with the browser history.  I'm going
to do some more testing, and then I'll recommend deprecating it,
because this is really quirky code.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.