Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Husna Hadi <hh...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2018/02/08 22:21:07 UTC

Cross-cluster mirror making

Hi, I read on The Definitive Guide to Kafka that when using cross-cluster kafka mirroring, when possible, consume from a remote datacenter rather than produce to a
remote datacenter. Why is that the case?

-Husna

Re: Cross-cluster mirror making

Posted by Andrew Otto <ot...@wikimedia.org>.
Hi Husna,

The trouble with cross cluster Kafka use is unpredictable network latency.
If a consumer encounters high latency, it will just lag, but (hopefully)
eventually it will catch up.  If a producer encounters high latency, it
will have to buffer messages locally until those messages are ACKed by the
Kafka cluster.  If the buffer gets too full, it will have to start dropping
messages.

- Andrew Otto