Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org> on 2006/08/16 21:32:06 UTC

Any rules for URLs like this?

An obfuscated URL like that should be fairly easy to detect - are
there any rules (e.g. SARE) for these?

	*      [score: 0.9334]
	*  3.0 URIBL_SBLXBL Contains a URL listed in the SBL/XBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: heretodayloantomorrow.com]
	*  1.6 URIBL_SBL Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
	*      [URIs: heretodayloantomorrow.com]

www.w<www<]vesselschamplainsharpshootmshouldnth].heretodayloantomorrow.com=

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org

Re: Any rules for URLs like this?

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Jeremy Fairbrass wrote:

> It seems to be a valid URL

> I actually didn't know you could use <>[] characters in a domain
> name

> I dunno what the RFCs say about the usage of such characters in a
> sub-domain...

*boggle*

I am going to have to re-read the RFCs as well - I, too, was assuming
<>[] were not valid in domain name parts...

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
  The fetters imposed on liberty at home have ever been forged out
  of the weapons provided for defense against real, pretended, or
  imaginary dangers from abroad.               -- James Madison, 1799

Re: Any rules for URLs like this?

Posted by Jeremy Fairbrass <jf...@hotmail.com>.
I'm not sure it's actually obfuscated though?? It seems to be a valid URL, I
mean in terms of it existing in DNS as-is, and in terms of it working (click
on it and it takes you to the spammer's site). I actually didn't know you
could use <>[] characters in a domain name, but I guess you can - this one
works anyway. In any case, the question would be whether or not there are,
or should be, any rules to detect a URL with <>[] characters in it - I think
it would be pretty easy to write such a rule if necessary, but would there
be any chance of FPs as a result? I dunno what the RFCs say about the usage
of such characters in a sub-domain...

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> John D. Hardin wrote:
> > An obfuscated URL like that should be fairly easy to detect - are
> > there any rules (e.g. SARE) for these?
>
> Do you need rules for them?  It looks like URIBL was able to pick
> it up fine.

Yes, but I want enough points to push it over the automatic-discard
threshhold. An extra point or two for that form of obfuscation would
be welcome (to me, at least).

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ    ICQ#15735746    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
 jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174    pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
 key: 0xB8732E79 - 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
 Windows and its users got mentioned at home today, after my wife the
 psych major brought up Seligman's theory of "learned helplessness."
					-- Dan Birchall in a.s.r

Re: Any rules for URLs like this?

Posted by Kelson Vibber <ke...@speed.net>.
John D. Hardin wrote:
> An obfuscated URL like that should be fairly easy to detect - are
> there any rules (e.g. SARE) for these?

Do you need rules for them?  It looks like URIBL was able to pick it up
fine.

It picks it up so well, in fact, that the list rejected my first attempt
to reply until I removed the example.

--
Kelson Vibber