Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by pushkar priyadarshi <pr...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/15 20:31:57 UTC

Kafka BrokerTopicMetrics MessageInPerSec rate

Hi,

While benchmarking new producer and consumer syncing offset in zookeeper i
see that MessageInRate reported in BrokerTopicMetrics is not same as rate
at which i am able to publish and consume messages.

Using my own custom reporter i can see the rate at which messages are
published and consumed and i expected rate at which message are consumed to
be similar(or lesser) to rate reported  by
kafka.server:type=BrokerTopicMetrics,name=MessagesInPerSec
But most of the time i am seeing produce/consume rate = 2 *
MessagesInPerSec across broker.

Was wondering what exactly does MessagesInPerSec in broker means?When we
are publishing we produce "ProducerRecord".Is messagingInPerSecond
something different from this rate?
I am using 3 broker and a single topic with multiple partitions and
replication factor set to 3.
All the brokers are on 0.8.2.1

Thanks