Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jorg Heymans <jh...@domek.be> on 2005/10/20 19:56:31 UTC

inherit from main archetype ?

Hi,

I've noticed that all poms from the available archetypes in the m2 repo
define

<parent>
  <artifactId>maven-archetypes</artifactId>
  <groupId>org.apache.maven.archetypes</groupId>
  <version>1.0-alpha-4-SNAPSHOT</version>
</parent>

Is this necessary for my own archetypes as well? Should i just define
this maybe to be "future safe"? What would/could the parent archetype
pom contain that is relevant for my own archetype ?

Regards
Jorg

Re: inherit from main archetype ?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
No, I don't think this is necessary. It's convenient for the
maven-developed archetypes, but you should use your own group and org
info.

If you have multiple archetypes, creating your own parent in a similar
way is probably wise, to reuse the definition of the archetype
dependencies, f.e.

- Brett