Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Sheetal D <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/08 20:11:55 UTC

help on different httpclient versions

Hi all,
         I am using Htp client which is bundled with JBoss. The version
of Http client version is 2.0.  I see new 3.0 version.
  My requirement is
   accessing xml file over http(s) with authenticaion and proxy
authentication.
  Basically Basic and Digest authentication.
  Could I Please  know if there is any problem in using 2.0 version
http client for these.

  I see one exception related to this and some ofher new features and
bug fixes,

   * 31981 - Fixed the bug causing an infinite loop in
HttpMethodDirector
           when using SSL + proxy + host auth + keep alive off
           Contributed by Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk at apache.org>

  Is there any patches for these. Should we have to use httpclient 3.0
for all these?
  If we replace 2.0 version with 3.0 in JBoss, is it compatible? since
we are changing to the higher version of http client.

 basically I guess, If I take the source file and compile with Http
client 3.0. and if this works, there should not be any problem unless some thing is not supported in that version. In that case, I think we get compile time error.

  Please let me know If I am wrong by any possibilites.

  Thanks,
  Sheetal.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: help on different httpclient versions

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hello Sheetal,

I can answer one of these questions:

>   If we replace 2.0 version with 3.0 in JBoss, is it compatible?

No, it is not. That's why the major version number was changed.

If you have to use HttpClient 3.0 while 2.0 is in the classpath,
your best chance is to package 3.0 with your application and use a
classloader with "parent last" strategy for loading classes.

In your place, I would first test whether 2.0 serves your need.
If it does, stick with it until you get a JBoss version that has
3.0 integrated. Otherwise, you'll soon learn lots more about
Java classloading than you ever wanted to know.

hope that helps,
  Roland