Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com> on 2003/04/15 22:29:08 UTC

datadump on big tables

Is there a way to increase the memory available to the datadump task?

I am running it on a pretty big table (really big table) and am hitting
out of memory errors:

         at
org.apache.velocity.texen.ant.TexenTask.execute(TexenTask.java:564)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:336)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
         at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1250)
         at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.start(Main.java:196)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
--- Nested Exception ---
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

on the ant task. I configured ant to run with 512 megs, but profiling
it it only is using 212 or so megs when the OOM error occurs - which
leads me to believe that the datadump is secretly forking or some such.

Anyone played with this much?

I am doing this with Torque 3.0 on OS X jdk 1.4.1 release against
postgres 7.3.2 with most recent org.postgresql.Driver driver.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: datadump on big tables

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Followup to this problem...

Apparently it does run directly in the ant process, no fork - OS X has
issues allocating more than 212 megs to the jvm is seems.

Moved it to Sun JDK 1.4.1_02 on linux and allocated 1 gigs per process
to the jvm and still ran out of memory. Profiling it - it uses the
memory - 4 processes using as much memory as I will throw at it (1 gig
per process in this case, 4 odd some gigabytes total memory usage) -
which is off the charts of absurdity, the database isn't *that* big - a
postgres dump (type c so pretty optimized, bzipping the dump only
shaves off a few percent) is only 70 megs.

Is the data dumper significantly different in 3.1?

-Brian