Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel <re...@ddcom.co.jp> on 2004/09/01 03:29:43 UTC

Re: Tomcat Holding Database Open??????

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:23:56 -0400
"Michael McQuade" <m....@sympatico.ca> wrote

> Please forgive me,  I dont even understand a lot of these responses,   Im a
> mainframe Cobol coder here,   not a Java person,

Welcome to Tomcat and Java.

> but Im using a Converter
> that converts Cobol to Java....

Fun days!

> Anyways,  I am pretty sure it has to be
> Tomcat doing this,

(or the converter, or some mismatch between the real and expected CoBOL,
Java, and Tomcat environments)

> because my Application ran just fine,   using MySQL,
> and JDBC driver in a Web Server called OmniCron  in CGI format.....

OmniHTTPd by Omnicron (www.omnicron.ca)? (I don't know anything about
them, just did a search on Google and they came up.)

So you are running in a MSWindows environment?

> The only thing different now is,  Im trying to run SERVLETS

There's one difference.

> using
> Apache/Tomcat.....

There's two more differences.

> At the Start of  each Servlet I do  a connect to
> database
> CONNECT TO 'jdbc:mysql://127.0.0.1:3306/Imagescan'
>
> DRIVER 'com.mysql.jdbc.Driver'
>
> Then do my processing and then do a DISCONNECT ALL......
>
> It just does not make sense I can connect ONE TIME only when running a
> Servlet and have to back out of app,  STOP,  START,

Do you mean stopping and starting Tomcat here? Or the browswer instance?
Or the database?

> and go back in,   to
> get another one time connection.....    the 08002, connection name in use,
> to me,   points to Tomcat ......

08002?

> But as I said,  Im just a baby in diapers to this world......

Me too.

> I believe its
> something in one of the .xml files,   but I have no idea.....
>
> As for Connection Pooling,    is that for a system taking large numbers of
> hits on it?????

Well, that's what the target would be. The idea is to re-use connections
so you don't spend as much time tearing down the Java interpreter and
rebuilding it. CGI will start a new Java process for every connection,
and when the connection is done tear it down.

> Right now, Im just one guy trying to make one connection
> work.....

So you might want to check that you haven't enabled pooling accidentally.

Joel <re...@ddcom.co.jp>