Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gamigin Gamigin <ga...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/04 06:27:16 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.15 Undeploy Problem

Server specs:
Tomcat Version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.15
JVM Version: 1.5.0_06-b05
JVM Vendor Sun Microsystems Inc.
OS Name: Linux
OS Version: 2.6.14.7-grsec
OS Architecture: i386

This is running on a third party shared hosting service so I can't
change the server setup or try upgrading to 5.5.16.

I'm trying to undeploy the default root ("/") application through the
Tomcat Manager web interface.

 - I click the "Undeploy" link
 - The "Are you sure" dialog pops up. I click yes.
 - The screen returns. The message section says, "OK - Undeployed
application at context path /". However, the "/" application is still
listed so I know this didn't work correctly.

I repeat the steps mentioned above and the same thing happens. I try
bouncing the server and the same thing still happens.

Tomcat outputs the following whenever I click undeploy:

Apr 3, 2006 10:53:37 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: undeploy: Undeploying web application at '/'
Apr 3, 2006 10:53:37 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext stop
INFO: Container
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[unlockaustin.com].[/]
has not been started
Apr 3, 2006 10:53:37 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: HTMLManager: list: Listing contexts for virtual host 'unlockaustin.com'

Of course, when the existing "/" application doesn't undeploy, I can't
deploy a new "ROOT.war". I try:
 - On the Manager web interface, I deploy my ROOT.war in the "WAR file
to deploy" section.
 - After a minute, the page comes back, and the message section says
"OK". However the "Display Name" column is blank which is a bad sign.
 - I click "start" and when the page returns, the message section
says, "FAIL - Application at context path / could not be started"

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to diagnose further?