Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Michael Carey <mj...@ics.uci.edu> on 2017/09/07 18:44:03 UTC

Time to deprecate AQL?

As AsterixDB evolves, and additional features are added - e.g., DISTINCT
aggregate support, or properly implemented query-bodied functions,
supporting two query languages is hugely expensive:  Updating two
grammars, parsers, rules, tests, ... IMO it is time to let go of AQL as
an externally supported interface to AsterixDB and only have SQL++ going
forward.  I think "everyone" has migrated - and if not we should force
that migration.  (Cloudberry is on SQL++ nowadays, BAD is on SQL++
nowadays, ...)  Any objections?  If not, I think we should make this
decision officially and stop putting energy into carrying the AQL legacy
around with us.  Thoughts?

Re: Time to deprecate AQL?

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Best,
Yingyi

Re: Time to deprecate AQL?

Posted by Xikui Wang <xi...@uci.edu>.
+1!

Best,
Xikui

Re: Time to deprecate AQL?

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Or possibly how to retire it and then re-do similarity joins using the
join infrastructure ideas discussed a year or so ago, perhaps.  (We
should think about whether or not the time it would take to do SQL+++
might be better used to not use that approach anymore - it was an
interesting experiment at the time it was done, but it's probably worth
having a revisiting discussion 5 years later - and also whether the
algorithm as it was invented is still the preferred one to support -
though the required SQL+++ query would surely be an interesting SQL++
optimizer test... :-))

Re: Time to deprecate AQL?

Posted by Chen Li <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Time to deprecate AQL?