Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2004/05/04 19:35:49 UTC

Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

I've just committed the new "supersonic" block, a tutorial/example app
called "Supersonic Tour of Apache Cocoon", focused on Pipelines, Flow,
Forms (aka "the Power Trio").

It is accessible from the "blocks with samples" page if you run the
current Cocoon CVS version.

The tutorial is meant to be studied independently of other docs, and
give a quick overview of the most important components of Cocoon.

There are probably a few typos here and there, and I'm no Forms guru
(yet..) so enhancements are certainly possible (for example: why does
this "Calendar" link show up next to the date entry fields ;-)

Enjoy, and as always feedback and contributions are very welcome!

-Bertrand

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
On Wed, 5 May 2004, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 5 mai 04, ΰ 21:23, leo leonid a ιcrit :
> > ...And it seems extensible, possibly a chance to demonstrate some O/R
> > practices with our lovely web glue...
>
> Yes, maybe providing an alternate version of the beans using OBJ to
> save themselves to a database would be a nice improvement.

that's exactly what is missing from cocoon sample. if anyone has
somenthing to contribute will be great.

--stavros

> > ...noticed you're using a deprecated syntax at some places in your
> > Form Model,  <fd:validation> shouldn't be nested within <fd:datatype>
> > anymore...
>
> Thanks for the info, and feel free to patch at will!
>
> -Bertrand

Re: new flow example [was: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)]

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.

i like very much the sitemap structure for the flow examples area
i think that there is a very good place to put very simple and small flow
examples that help people understand and work with flaw.

i'll prepare the patch

--stavros

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 7 mai 04, à 14:04, gounis@osmosis.gr a écrit :

> ...i have add one of my flow examples in the same sturcture with
> your's in
> flow example in supersonic block.
>
> this example use java classes for bussines logic calculations. those
> classe are colled from flow.
>
> do you want to add this example insupersonic block?...

My idea was to keep the supersonic tour minimal so that people stay
focused on the absolute essentials.  It's hard to define "essential",
but do you think your sample adds essential information?

If so, can you prepare a patch and submit to bugzilla? I'd be happy to
look at it.

-Bertrand

new flow example [was: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)]

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
hi Bertrand

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by leo leonid <te...@leonid.de>.
On 04.05.2004, at 19:35, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I've just committed the new "supersonic" block, a tutorial/example app
> called "Supersonic Tour of Apache Cocoon", focused on Pipelines, Flow,
> Forms (aka "the Power Trio").

I think, this a successful work, neither a dry HelloWorld, nor a
complex beast, so you still get the essentials quickly. And it seems
extensible, possibly a chance to demonstrate some O/R practices with
our lovely web glue...

> There are probably a few typos here and there, and I'm no Forms guru
> (yet..) so

As a Forms guru, I noticed you're using a deprecated syntax at some
places in your Form Model,  <fd:validation> shouldn't be nested within
<fd:datatype> anymore.

/leo

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 04 May 2004, at 19:35, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I've just committed the new "supersonic" block, a tutorial/example app
> called "Supersonic Tour of Apache Cocoon", focused on Pipelines, Flow,
> Forms (aka "the Power Trio").

Thanks a lot for this, Bertrand. I like the name and of course the
"Power Trio" term. :-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Bertrand Delacretaz dijo:
> Le 10 mai 04, à 05:59, David Crossley a écrit :
>> ...I think that it should be called the "tour" block, yet still
>> have the familiar name of "Supersonic Tour"...
>
> Do others have the same opinion? If so I'm ok to rename the block, I
> agree that it's a more descriptive name.

I am +1 for a more clear name as "tour", "intro", "tutorial", "starthere"
or a similar name. The "supersonic" name is cool but it does not clear
about what it is about. Then I have concerns how easily a newbie will find
it. Remember Cocoon is a best with more than 100 MB.

<OT>
Supersonic: suggest me a Database name (not sure, but I think I hear about
that some time ago. I don't know even if it still exists or not.).
</OT>

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 14:28, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>>Le 10 mai 04, à 05:59, David Crossley a écrit :
>>
>>>...I think that it should be called the "tour" block, yet still
>>>have the familiar name of "Supersonic Tour"...
>>
>>Do others have the same opinion? If so I'm ok to rename the block, I
>>agree that it's a more descriptive name.
>

> how about the full "supersonictour" ?

Yes, I have the same opinion too, and either tour or supersonictour are fine
with me.  Antonio, were you thinking of HSQL (stands for Hypersonic SQL, doesn't
it?).

Geoff

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>> Do others have the same opinion? If so I'm ok to rename the block, I
>>> agree that it's a more descriptive name.
>>

>> I prefer 'tour' as blockname and 'Supersonic Tour' as name for the
>> tour itself. I guess that's the same David suggested.
>

>> I also would do this step before the release, supersonic block was
>> only introduced some days ago and there are no external dependencies
>> on it.
>

> +1 for changing the name before the release (I'm ok with "tour" as I
> said before)
> Feel free to do it if you have time, I won't have time before Wednesday.

+1 from me too.

Upayavira

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 10.05.2004 14:28, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> ...I think that it should be called the "tour" block, yet still
>> have the familiar name of "Supersonic Tour"...
>

> Do others have the same opinion? If so I'm ok to rename the block, I
> agree that it's a more descriptive name.

I prefer 'tour' as blockname and 'Supersonic Tour' as name for the tour
itself. I guess that's the same David suggested.

I also would do this step before the release, supersonic block was only
introduced some days ago and there are no external dependencies on it.

Joerg

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> ...My immediate
> response is 'why the name supersonic'. It obfuscates the contents of the
> block. Why not just have a tutorial block, or a tutorials block if there
> are more than one in there? That way it is completely obvious to someone
> looking at Cocoon what is in there, and they'll be off coding, without
> any additional help from us. But with this name, it just becomes one
> amongst many unclear names: fop, deli, cron, batik, axis, slide, slop,
> stx, velocity, etc, etc, etc.

I think that it should be called the "tour" block, yet still
have the familiar name of "Supersonic Tour".

IIRC we decided that we should use functional names for the
actual blocks. That is why we changed the "woody" name and why
the new kernel did not get a fanciful name.

--David

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 4 mai 04, à 23:04, Upayavira a écrit :
>
>> ...In a block called tutorials, I think this could be an invaluable
>> addition.
>

> but...me likes the name supersonic ;-)
>
> The idea is a very quick, "supersonic" tour of the most important things
> in Cocoon. Next step towards understanding is to take another slower,
> more complete tour of the parts that you want to study, but that's
> another story (and IMHO another block).
>
> I wouldn't want many tutorials to be mixed in a single block: I think it
> is important for people to be able to look at the contents of the
> supersonic (or whatever it is called if the general consensus is to
> change the name) block and know that the files found there are all it
> takes to build the examples and the related presentation stuff. Makes it
> more modular and understandable.
>
> I think the name is distinctive enough to stick. "Supersonic Tour" -
> just a small, standalone and understandable Cocoon application which
> shows the most important things. Once the word gets around that this is
> a good entry point for beginners, people won't have trouble finding it.

Hm, I think it's fine as "supersonic".  I have to agree with Bertrand
that the name sticks out and will be easy to find.  Besides, that's what
we have the BlocksDescriptions page on the Wiki for.

Plus, if we name it tutorials, does that mean the rest of the tutorials
in the docs should go there as well?

> -Bertrand

Regards,
Tony

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I've just committed the new "supersonic" block, a tutorial/example app
> called "Supersonic Tour of Apache Cocoon", focused on Pipelines, Flow,
> Forms (aka "the Power Trio").
>
> It is accessible from the "blocks with samples" page if you run the
> current Cocoon CVS version.
>
> The tutorial is meant to be studied independently of other docs, and
> give a quick overview of the most important components of Cocoon.
>
> There are probably a few typos here and there, and I'm no Forms guru
> (yet..) so enhancements are certainly possible (for example: why does
> this "Calendar" link show up next to the date entry fields ;-)
>
> Enjoy, and as always feedback and contributions are very welcome!

Haven't looked at this yet (but expect it to be good!). My immediate
response is 'why the name supersonic'. It obfuscates the contents of the
block. Why not just have a tutorial block, or a tutorials block if there
are more than one in there? That way it is completely obvious to someone
looking at Cocoon what is in there, and they'll be off coding, without
any additional help from us. But with this name, it just becomes one
amongst many unclear names: fop, deli, cron, batik, axis, slide, slop,
stx, velocity, etc, etc, etc.

In a block called tutorials, I think this could be an invaluable addition.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Supersonic block has landed (Power Trio tutorial/example app)

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
i know that we must not use this list for just for say "thank you"

but this tutorial is great

A big "thank you" from all to Bertrand!!!!!

Absolute work!!!! Just fine!!!

lets translate this tutorial to several languages

-- stavros