Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Dominique <op...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/17 14:03:24 UTC

OpenOffice integration

Hi,

we are developing a Lenya-based content management system for a
customer who will use OpenOffice as their editor for documents.
Versioning and  locking must be supported.

After trying out the OpenOffice page of Lenya 1.2 and following the
development of 1.4, I still don't know whether  Webdav versioning and
locking will be integrated with Lenya's native Versioning system and
its User Management.

Looking at other CMS, I wonder if an export/import feature, putting a
copy of the .odt file at the client's machine and handling the
locking/versioning on the server, is an alternative ?
E.g, the user clicks an "Edit OO" link, this will Check Out (and lock)
the .odt document and download it to the user's disks where OO will
open it. After the user finished editing, he selects in Lenya "Checkin
document" and the local copy will be fetched into Lenya back again
with a new version and unlocked.
We have some development time to contribute such code to Lenya.

So, in short, what do you think is the best way to integrate a remote
client editor (eg OpenOffice) with Lenya, bearing in mind that User
Management and Versioning should be respected ?

Also, for a system to be operational in February 2006 would the use of
1.2 or 1.4 be advisable ?

kind regards,

Dominique De Munck

Re: WebDAV and XP web folders (Was Re: OpenOffice integration)

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Hi Jonathan,
This still works for me (drag and drop xp dav folder) in a 1.4 version
from a month or so ago.  I will try today on a fresh build from the
trunk, and try this on the default pub.

It is not forgiving, if your doc is not valid, it will not PUT, and xp
will just give you a generic error.  This is not working for doctypes
other than xhtml atm.  I started to poke around with the OpenDoc and ran
into problems.  I believe the PROPFIND usecase needs some work, OO
didn't like the response if I recall correctly.

--Doug

Posted by Jonathan Addison <jo...@wyona.com>.
Hi Doug

Re: OpenOffice integration

Posted by Doug Chestnut <dh...@virginia.edu>.
Hi Dominique

Dominique wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are developing a Lenya-based content management system for a
> customer who will use OpenOffice as their editor for documents.
> Versioning and  locking must be supported.
>
> After trying out the OpenOffice page of Lenya 1.2 and following the
> development of 1.4, I still don't know whether  Webdav versioning and
> locking will be integrated with Lenya's native Versioning system and
> its User Management.

Lenya 1.4 currently has limited support for webDAV (including
versioning, locking, and user/group management).  The last time I tried
OO (think it was 1.9.95) it didn't set a user-agent header (which is
currently a requirement of the lenya webDAV implementation).  The
current webDAV impl also only works with xhtml doctype afaik.

Check out: http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToEditWithWebDAV

Michael Wechner recently created a .odt doctype and was looking into
getting it to work with webDAV.

> Looking at other CMS, I wonder if an export/import feature, putting a
> copy of the .odt file at the client's machine and handling the
> locking/versioning on the server, is an alternative ?
> E.g, the user clicks an "Edit OO" link, this will Check Out (and lock)
> the .odt document and download it to the user's disks where OO will
> open it. After the user finished editing, he selects in Lenya "Checkin
> document" and the local copy will be fetched into Lenya back again
> with a new version and unlocked.
> We have some development time to contribute such code to Lenya.
>
> So, in short, what do you think is the best way to integrate a remote
> client editor (eg OpenOffice) with Lenya, bearing in mind that User
> Management and Versioning should be respected ?

Build on the current webDAV impl.  I currently have users editing their
lenya 1.4 content via DreamWeaver, and I use XP web folders to drag and
drop new content into my Lenya publication.

> Also, for a system to be operational in February 2006 would the use of
> 1.2 or 1.4 be advisable ?

I would say 1.4 with the hope that switching to JCR doesn't create too
much instability.

> kind regards,
>
> Dominique De Munck

--Doug