Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/13 15:15:03 UTC

Java 5 creeped again to Benchmark?

I up SVN and noticed some compilation errors in my eclipse in
SearchTravRetVectorHighlightTask. I added FastVectorHighlighter to my build
path, but it failed again because the latter is Java 1.5 compliant, and I
set the compiler level to 1.4 (to comply w/ core and benchmark level).

Maybe this task should be put aside until we upgrade benchmark to 1.5?

Shai

Re: Java 5 creeped again to Benchmark?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Heh :)

Though... that was different, because that code hadn't been created
yet (I think) and so you were asking whether you could use 1.5.  The
added work & cost of sticking with 1.4 was basically zero.

Whereas in this case we have new and useful functionality (the new
"fast vector highlighter") that we'll have to pull, and, I don't think
anyone will make the effort to fix the new highlighter to be 1.5.

Ie, for this case (since we'll lose something) it's compelling to now
accept 1.5 for benchmark.

Mike

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 08/13/2009 01:56 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> Shai Erera wrote:
>> So far Mike has resolved the issue again, so it sounds like we go w/
>> it ?
>>
> Lazy consensus - so its lookin good so far - but someone could still
> derail us I suppose.

I've been a stick-in-the-mud wrt migrating to Java 5 in the past.

That said, I think that tests and benchmarks are QA tools and as such
shouldn't be constrained to a particular version of Java. Even though
code may be 1.4.2 most are using Java 5 or 6 for runtime. I think it is
reasonable to benchmark using what end users use.

-- DM

Re: Java 5 creeped again to Benchmark?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
So far Mike has resolved the issue again, so it sounds like we go w/ it ?

Going forward, what about contribs that are on Java 1.6?

Personally I don't think it's wrong that benchmark will be on Java 1.5 or
even 1.6. Even that Lucene is 1.4, I believe many run it w/ 1.5 or 1.6, so
testing Lucene w/ those JVMs is not wrong. And I don't just mean running w/
a 1.6 JVM, but actually using 1.6 stuff. This also emulates real
applications that use 1.6 stuff, while Lucene is 1.4.

Shai

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Like I said - you won't hear me complaining. On my next Benchmark issue will
I be free to use 1.5 stuff? (kidding)

Though... that was different, because that code hadn't been created yet

I actually did write the code, but didn't post the patch - so I guess it
doesn't count :).

I'm fine w/ it, I'll just change my compiler level to 1.5.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thats fair -

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I could go for that as well :)

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
And further - it makes sense that Benchmark would work with contrib
modules and contrib allows 1.5 ...

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mike. I wouldn't mind doing it myself, but since you already reopened
... ;)

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Michael McCandless <

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.