Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Attila Mezei-Horvati <at...@yahoo.com> on 2006/11/13 19:40:16 UTC

mvn2: Failed to validate POM error

I have two projects. One is a jar, second is a war.
I run the 'mvn clean install' for the jar and works
fine. I can see the files installed in my local
.m2/repository.

The second project has the dependency on the first:

        <dependency>
            <groupId>groupId</groupId>
            <artifactId>projName</artifactId>
            <version>versionNumber</version>
        </dependency>

where projName is the jar projects id.

When I run 'mvn clean package' for this war project, I
get a warning at every phase which says:
"POM for 'projname':compile  is invalid. It will be
ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Failed to
validate POM. "

What is this supposed to mean? Is there anybody who
could give an advice where to look, how to identify
the issue?

thanks,
Attila

Re: mvn2: Failed to validate POM error

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Attila,

If you are getting that message. Then that means something is wrong for that
artifact of yours installed in your pom (when you do mvn install, the
package of your project will be copied in your local repository and a .pom
file will be generated there as well).

Kindly check if you have that .pom file whenever you do the installation.
Kindly check if the pom is of the proper format ( based on [1] ). Athough I
don't know how it could have an invalid format after instalation, this is
just to make sure.

Cheers,
Franz

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/components/trunk/maven-project/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/project/validation/DefaultModelValidator.java
4. Parent Id ( groupId & artifactId ) of your artifact should not have the
same id as the artifact itself.
5.

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
Does it actually say: "POM for 'projname':compile"? with 'projname' in
quotes? Note that all IDs are case sensitive also.

As a last resort, try deleting the offending project from your local
repository, then recompiling.

Eric

On 11/13/06, Attila Mezei-Horvati <at...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have two projects. One is a jar, second is a war.
> I run the 'mvn clean install' for the jar and works
> fine. I can see the files installed in my local
> .m2/repository.
>
> The second project has the dependency on the first:
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>groupId</groupId>
>             <artifactId>projName</artifactId>
>             <version>versionNumber</version>
>         </dependency>
>
> where projName is the jar projects id.
>
> When I run 'mvn clean package' for this war project, I
> get a warning at every phase which says:
> "POM for 'projname':compile  is invalid. It will be
> ignored for artifact resolution. Reason: Failed to
> validate POM. "
>
> What is this supposed to mean? Is there anybody who
> could give an advice where to look, how to identify
> the issue?
>
> thanks,
> Attila

Eric Redmond