Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/18 00:07:52 UTC

ReleaseTodo steps

So in the section: Building the Release artifacts

bullet 8: Make sure that for each release file an md5 checksum file exists.

At this step in the process, the zip/tars do not have an md5 checksum
file that exists (at least not on *my* computer). The Maven artifacts do.

Kosher? Adequate? Admissible? All right? Cool?

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> So in the section: Building the Release artifacts
>>
>> bullet 8: Make sure that for each release file an md5 checksum file
>> exists.
>>
>> At this step in the process, the zip/tars do not have an md5 checksum
>> file that exists (at least not on *my* computer). The Maven artifacts
>> do.
>>
>> Kosher? Adequate? Admissible? All right? Cool?
>>

> They need to be there.

Here are a couple things I noticed:

1. Lucene 2.4.1 doesn't seem to have these md5 hashes for the non maven
artifacts.

2. If you goto the main Lucene site and try one of the download links
for the pre 2.4.1 releases - they all take you to 2.4.1 artifacts.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay - I see the checksum stuff in build.xml - it just doesn't appear to
>> be working in my favor at the moment ...
>>

> You can just use md5sum from the command line too.
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Thanks, thats what I'll do - the build stuff doesn't work no matter what
I try - mentions it does that macro stuff because its waiting for the
format prop in checksum - which appears available to me (though I don't
know which ant it showed up or what ant we try and support).

I'll just do it by hand for now.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Uwe Schindler wrote:
>> Oddly though, while all of the Maven hashes are in a file thats 32bytes,
>> when I save this hash, its 33bytes.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Line feed?

Hmm...I don't see a newline when I open it (that was my first thought
too), but perhaps its invisible and doesnt show up in my text viewer?

I'm taking it from a single line (so I don't think its that ?):

a21f40c4f4fb1c54903e761caf43e1d7 *lucene-2.9.0.tar.gz

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mark for the clarification!
-John

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yeah it is, sorry :(

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by John Wang <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys:

RE: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
> Oddly though, while all of the Maven hashes are in a file thats 32bytes,
> when I save this hash, its 33bytes.
>
> Any thoughts?

Line feed?

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! I assumed you dropped the second part entirely, because the
Maven artifact md5's only appear to have the hash. Your link to the dist
with the non Maven md5's clears that up though. I guess the mirrors just
don't have the md5 files.

bq. All of the old releases used to be there, but they were removed.

Cool - I'll look into updating those links.

Thanks a lot,

Mark

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : > They are there.... just not replicated or shown in mirrors?
> : > http://www.apache.org/dist/lucene/java/
> : >
> :
> : Its pretty odd they don't go out to the mirrors - I mean, whats the
> : point? Users can't use them to verify anything anyway if they don't have
> : them. Anyone know anything about this?
>
> It's intentional: you always want to get the hash from the authoritative
> source (and not a mirror) so you can actaully verify the checksum.
> (particularly if you don't have gpg to check the signature files).
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi..
>  "Alternatively, you can verify the MD5 signature (hash value) on the
>   files. Make sure you get these files from the main site, rather than
>   from a mirror. The above [MD5] links automatically retrieve the
>   signature files from the main site."
>

> -Hoss

Okay, thanks Hoss.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you done this before Yonik?
>>
>> md5sum generates a hash line like this:
>> a21f40c4f4fb1c54903e761caf43e1d7 *lucene-2.9.0.tar.gz
>>

> Remove the '*' character?

Oddly, my version of md5sum considers it invalid without the * and won't
check it.
I'll leave it out though, as the 2.4.1 versions don't have it. Makes me
a bit hesitant
though. Will be nice to have this auto in the build again at some point.
I suppose I could build
on Windows and see if they get gen'd for me.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: md5sum generates a hash line like this:
: a21f40c4f4fb1c54903e761caf43e1d7 *lucene-2.9.0.tar.gz
:
: Then when you do a check, it knows what file to check against.
:
: The Maven artifacts just list the hash though. So it seems proper to
: remove the second part and just put the hash?

Some background on the macro...

And some info about what maven creates/expects in the MD5 files (i only
skimmed this)...
http://www.nabble.com/Checksum-Format-for-.md5-and-.sha1-Files-td21249817.html

-Hoss

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay - I see the checksum stuff in build.xml - it just doesn't appear to
>> be working in my favor at the moment ...
>>

> You can just use md5sum from the command line too.
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Have you done this before Yonik?

md5sum generates a hash line like this:
a21f40c4f4fb1c54903e761caf43e1d7 *lucene-2.9.0.tar.gz

Then when you do a check, it knows what file to check against.

The Maven artifacts just list the hash though. So it seems proper to
remove the second part and just put the hash?

Oddly though, while all of the Maven hashes are in a file thats 32bytes,
when I save this hash, its 33bytes.

Any thoughts?

Would be awesome to fix this in the build. I think 2.4.1 just went out
without them (not sure about previous releases).

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: ReleaseTodo steps

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.