Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Roxana Angheluta <ro...@attentio.com> on 2005/10/20 21:46:52 UTC

java on 64 bits

Hi everybody!

We have a large Lucene index which gets updated very often.
Until recently the java virtual machine used to manage the index was on
32 bits, although the program was running on a 64bits station. Last week
we changed the java to 64 bits and since then we experience strange
problems, the index grows very large. I'm not sure the 2 are related,
that's why I ask here: is it possible that the index got corrupted
after we updated the jvm? Is there any relation between the size of the
index and the jvm used?

I hope the questions make sense, thanks,
roxana

Re: java on 64 bits

Posted by Roxana Angheluta <ro...@attentio.com>.
Hello everyone!

Here are the conclusions we got after digging more into the problem,
maybe they help someone:

1) Filling of the hard-drive was not due to java 64, this was
coincidentally.
2) The intermediate files Yonik talked about (*.f*) were present because
the indexing process was merging very large segments, which took a while
to be merged.
3) We are indexing a continous stream of data. As documents get
out-of-date they are deleted from the index. In order to ensure data
throughput we use a batch indexing strategy by setting mergeFactor to
50, but never optimizing. The downside of this is that it will take a
long time before we reach the point where deleted documents are purged
when out-of-date segments are merged. This means we end up with large
segments that contain nothing but deleted documents that could be
deleted if they weren't included in the segments file.
4) Assuming that frequently merging into a large segment doesn't affect
the data throughput, then we should probably have implemented the
strategy as described by Doug Cutting here - scroll down:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/29350?page=last

Hth,
casper & roxana

Re: java on 64 bits

Posted by Roxana Angheluta <ro...@attentio.com>.

Re: java on 64 bits

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: java on 64 bits

Posted by Roxana Angheluta <ro...@attentio.com>.

Re: java on 64 bits

Posted by Volodymyr Bychkoviak <vb...@i-hypergrid.com>.
You can also try to clean up index with Luke.

Yonik Seeley wrote:
> One possibility: if lucene runs out of memory while adding or optimizing, it
> can leave unused files beind that increase the size of the index. A 64 bit
> JVM will require more memory than a 32 bit one due to the size of all
> references being doubled.
>
> If you are using the compound file format (the default - check for .cfs
> files), then it's easy to check if you have this problem by seeing if there
> are any *.f* files in the index directory. These are intermediate files and
> shouldn't exist for long in a compound-file index.
>
> -Yonik
> Now hiring -- http://tinyurl.com/7m67g
>

> On 10/20/05, Roxana Angheluta <ro...@attentio.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>> We have a large Lucene index which gets updated very often.
>> Until recently the java virtual machine used to manage the index was on
>> 32 bits, although the program was running on a 64bits station. Last week
>> we changed the java to 64 bits and since then we experience strange
>> problems, the index grows very large. I'm not sure the 2 are related,
>> that's why I ask here: is it possible that the index got corrupted
>> after we updated the jvm? Is there any relation between the size of the
>> index and the jvm used?
>>
>> I hope the questions make sense, thanks,
>> roxana

regards,
Volodymyr Bychkoviak

Re: java on 64 bits