Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/29 14:20:07 UTC

svn st without the X lines for externals?

We make extensive use of externals, so "svn st" outputs many lines
beginning with X. Running "svn st --ignore-externals" gets rid of the
"Performing status on external item at" output, but not the "X" lines.
Is it possible to avoid those as well?

Client version 1.10.0.

Thanks,

Re: svn st without the X lines for externals?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Nathan Hartman wrote on Sun, 01 Jul 2018 10:31 -0400:
> Thank you for mentioning this. I will look into it and perhaps it can be
> fixed.

Probably just need to make apply_color return its first argument
unmodified when "not sys.stdout.isatty()".

Re: svn st without the X lines for externals?

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:04 AM Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org> wrote:

> Nathan Hartman wrote:
> > We make extensive use of externals, so "svn st" outputs many lines
> > beginning with X. Running "svn st --ignore-externals" gets rid of the
> > "Performing status on external item at" output, but not the "X" lines.
> > Is it possible to avoid those as well?
>
> I would consider supporting a proposal for "svn status" to be
> improved/changed, if you'd like to make such a proposal.

I am thinking about what the proposal should be. Perhaps to sort by type of
change? On *nix I have become accustomed to typing "svn st | sort -r" to
print modified "M", then deleted "D", then added "A" but this is far from
perfect for a variety of reasons. And it doesn't work on Windows unless one
installs a *nix version of sort that has the -r switch.

Meanwhile, I have been using this output-colouring wrapper script for a

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 6, 2018 at 5:09 AM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 29.06.2018 17:04, Julian Foad wrote:
> > Nathan Hartman wrote:
> >> We make extensive use of externals, so "svn st" outputs many lines
> >> beginning with X. Running "svn st --ignore-externals" gets rid of the
> >> "Performing status on external item at" output, but not the "X" lines.
> >> Is it possible to avoid those as well?
> > I would consider supporting a proposal for "svn status" to be
> improved/changed, if you'd like to make such a proposal.
>
> Interestingly enough, 'svn status --quiet' already does this, it's just
> not very explicitly mentioned in the help text.

Thank you for mentioning this. Unfortunately that also hides any mention of
unversioned items, so I will probably forget to add files that should be
added.

Re: svn st without the X lines for externals?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 29.06.2018 17:04, Julian Foad wrote:
> Nathan Hartman wrote:
>> We make extensive use of externals, so "svn st" outputs many lines
>> beginning with X. Running "svn st --ignore-externals" gets rid of the
>> "Performing status on external item at" output, but not the "X" lines.
>> Is it possible to avoid those as well?
> I would consider supporting a proposal for "svn status" to be improved/changed, if you'd like to make such a proposal.

Interestingly enough, 'svn status --quiet' already does this, it's just
not very explicitly mentioned in the help text.

-- Brane

Re: svn st without the X lines for externals?

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
Nathan Hartman wrote:
> We make extensive use of externals, so "svn st" outputs many lines
> beginning with X. Running "svn st --ignore-externals" gets rid of the
> "Performing status on external item at" output, but not the "X" lines.
> Is it possible to avoid those as well?

I would consider supporting a proposal for "svn status" to be improved/changed, if you'd like to make such a proposal.

Meanwhile, I have been using this output-colouring wrapper script for a while, which also hides the X lines:

  https://github.com/thejoshwolfe/svn-color

Overall I really like it. It is not perfect: it inserts color formatting even when output is not to a tty, which means e.g. "svn diff > patchfile" produces a file that 'patch' can't read, and I also find it runs svn --non-interactive so if a repo access would need a password it just fails instead. In those cases, I re-try using (in Bash) "command svn ..." instead of "svn ...".

- Julian