Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Donald Sharp <dw...@iee.org> on 2001/05/30 18:17:19 UTC

general/7791: Apache docs online shortcut fails to start browser

>Number:         7791
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Apache docs online shortcut fails to start browser
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
don >uname -a
Windows_NT DON 4 00 586
don >

NT4 SP6a applied. Apache installed from apache_1.3.20-win32-no_src-r2.msi
to f:\Apache
apache_1.3.20-win32-no_src-r2.msi sets up a shortcut to "Apache Docs Online"
with a command that looks like
C:\http:/\httpd.apache.org/docs

It should look like

<default browser> url to the docs directory

I've edited my shortcut to
J:\Netscape\Program\netscape.exe  "http://httpd.apache.org/docs"

and that works very nicely.

Thank you

Don Sharp
>How-To-Repeat:
Do a test install on NT4 SP6a with

msiexec /i apache_1.3.20-win32-no_src-r2.msi

and examine the Apache Docs Online shortcut
>Fix:
Look in the registry for the default program for extensions .htm .html
and set the shortcut accordingly
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]

Re: general/7791: Apache docs online shortcut fails to start browser

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>.
From: "Donald Sharp" <dw...@iee.org>

> apache_1.3.20-win32-no_src-r2.msi sets up a shortcut to "Apache Docs Online"
> with a command that looks like
> C:\http:/\httpd.apache.org/docs

No, the shortcut created is http://httpd.apache.org/docs

Which version of the MSI installer are you using?  (simply run msiexec.exe to discover it.)

> It should look like
>
> <default browser> url to the docs directory

It's the job of the browser to register itself appropriately to handle
the http: space, even as a shortcut target, on Win32.

> I've edited my shortcut to
> J:\Netscape\Program\netscape.exe  "http://httpd.apache.org/docs"
>
> and that works very nicely.

Glad you found an effective solution.  As this appears specific to your machine's config,
we won't worry about it, unless your msiexec version points us to further issues.