Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com> on 2022/11/08 13:43:36 UTC

Re: [Discuss]- Donate Iceberg Flink Connector

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. I'm one of the core flink iceberg connector
maintainers at the early stage (flink 1.12, flink 1.13, flink 1.14). For
the later flink releases,  I've had some adjustments in my work and had
less interactions with apache flink+iceberg, thanks Ryan, Steven, Kyle,
hililiwei for the great and hard work to move iceberg flink modules
forward.

When I learned that the flink and iceberg communities were discussing
moving the flink connector to an external unified flink connector repo, I
read the email list and the past iceberg community sync notes carefully,
and also talked with flink guys offline. I think I have basically
understood the context and pros & cons about moving the flink connector out
the iceberg repo.

To be honest, the workflow about flink external connectors repository is
not very mature and has less attention than flink/iceberg projects. Moving
the flink module from the iceberg repository at this point may not be the
right time to make things better. As we had discussed above,  the flink API
is gradually becoming more stable (moving forward to the better direction
at least), and the flink community has promised to invest more bandwidth
(as Jark Wu said) to maintain the flink module.  I'm wondering if we can
keep the flink connector in the iceberg repository for a while (say a
quarter or two quarter) to see if the status quo improves. If the
maintenance experience has been improved in a quarter or half a year, then
it should be the right choice for us to keep the flink module. After all,
this is beneficial to both the iceberg and flink. Otherwise, I think we
should really move the flink module away until the API becomes stable
enough ( if we have to do the moving, I think that flink externalized
connectors repo will be more mature at that time, and it is more
appropriate to remove the flink module ).

Thanks.