Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ilan Yaniv <Il...@timetoknow.org> on 2008/12/30 14:45:52 UTC

Search, Search Engine and properties

Hi All,

In my company we are developing lots of assets, it is NOT code.
We have lots of Giga's of animations, graphics etc.

There are many tools out there for content management tools, but since
that we also develops code, I want that the company will use SVN for
assets too.

I offered to use the SVN properties to add metadata for each file.

Example:
Today, if a user is searching for a yellow flower tool, he needs to have
folder path like: nature\flower\color\yellow.
I want to have: yellow and flower as properties for the file.

The thing is that I will have to run a search for yellow flower on all
assets properties (and there are hundred of thousands of files) it will
take me hours to find a file.
If I had database search, the search will be much faster, but this is
not possible with SVN.

1)	What should I do, maybe SVN is not the tool that I am looking
for?
2)	Does SVN have search engine?
3)	Does SVN have search engine for properties?
4)	Does SVN have a caching mechanism?
5)	Does SVN have a caching mechanism for properties?
6)	Is there a third party tool (maybe DB) that I can have indexing
ability to search for files?

I guess that this list of questions is enough for now, isn't it?

Ilan Yaniv
Configuration Management
Phone: 03-7534333 ext. 5873
Ilan.Yaniv@timetoknow.org

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/31/2008 11:43:53 PM:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Stephen P Rufle
> <st...@cox.net> wrote:
> > In another part of this thread people mentioned ClearCase. If David
> > Weintraub is using realistic numbers, that money could probably fund
> > SupoSE quite nicely :)
> >
> > ClearCase license: $40,000
> > Vob Server: $20,000
>
> A ClearCase floating license costs about $4,600 per license and
> includes 12 months of maintenance. Normally, you need about 8 license
> per 10 developers and closer to a 1 to 2 for non developers. Maybe if
> you have an operation in India and one in California, they can share a
> license. Of course, if you use MultiSite, you need to double your
> license cost because you need both a ClearCase license and an
> MultiSite license for every VOB that uses Multisite even if a
> particular user doesn't use MultiSite.
>
> So, only $40,000 for ClearCase licenses would be for a fairly small
shop.

Large shops can get significant discounts, but it is still very pricey...

> And, IBM recommends one full time ClearCase administrator for every 25
users.

I'll have to tell our 4 full-time ClearCase support people they can
only support the first 100 people, not the 4000 they are doing now... :)
(Don't get me wrong, I'm *really* glad I'm not directly supporting CC...)

Kevin R.

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
<st...@cox.net> wrote:
> In another part of this thread people mentioned ClearCase. If David
> Weintraub is using realistic numbers, that money could probably fund
> SupoSE quite nicely :)
>
> ClearCase license: $40,000
> Vob Server: $20,000

A ClearCase floating license costs about $4,600 per license and
includes 12 months of maintenance. Normally, you need about 8 license
per 10 developers and closer to a 1 to 2 for non developers. Maybe if
you have an operation in India and one in California, they can share a
license. Of course, if you use MultiSite, you need to double your
license cost because you need both a ClearCase license and an
MultiSite license for every VOB that uses Multisite even if a
particular user doesn't use MultiSite.

So, only $40,000 for ClearCase licenses would be for a fairly small shop.

There are several different types of servers in ClearCase. There is
the license server. This can be a fairly lightweight machine. A VOB
server. This should be a fairly heavy machine dedicated to this task.
And, it should have a good, high speed dependable SAN attached to it
with a fiber channel. You cannot every over buy hardware for the VOB
server.

Then, there's the ViewServer. Sometimes, this could be the same system
as the VOB server, but normally, you want this as a separate machine
too.

And, IBM recommends one full time ClearCase administrator for every 25 users.

So, the amounts I gave were really pretty realistic.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.
I would actually prefer funding the project rather than buying clearcase if
I had an option :)

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Stephen P Rufle <st...@cox.net>wrote:

> In another part of this thread people mentioned ClearCase. If David
> Weintraub is using realistic numbers, that money could probably fund
> SupoSE quite nicely :)
>
> ClearCase license: $40,000
> Vob Server: $20,000
>
> Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > based on your requirements you should take a look to the Subversion
> > Repository Search Engine (SupoSE) ....
> >
> > The intention of SupoSE is exactly what you are looking for....
> >
> > I have to admit that may be things are not  (all) working yet but I'm
> > working on this....
> >
> >> 6)      Is there a third party tool (maybe DB) that I can have indexing
> >> ability to search for files?
> >
> > Take a look at: http://redmine.soebes.de
> >
> > This project is an Open Source Project (GPL) which implements a scanning
> > service for a single or multiple Subverision repositories....
> >
> > In the current (early) stage the query can only be given on command
> line....
> >
> > May be you have some feedback about usage or improvements or features
> > which are missing....
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise

Cheers,
Vishwajeet
http://www.singhvishwajeet.com

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by Stephen P Rufle <st...@cox.net>.

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi there,

based on your requirements you should take a look to the Subversion
Repository Search Engine (SupoSE) ....

The intention of SupoSE is exactly what you are looking for....

I have to admit that may be things are not  (all) working yet but I'm
working on this....

> 6)      Is there a third party tool (maybe DB) that I can have indexing
> ability to search for files?

Take a look at: http://redmine.soebes.de

This project is an Open Source Project (GPL) which implements a scanning
service for a single or multiple Subverision repositories....

In the current (early) stage the query can only be given on command line....

May be you have some feedback about usage or improvements or features
which are missing....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:56, Ilan Yaniv <Il...@timetoknow.org> wrote:
> Sorry - I have no such assets, I hope that someday someone will do it.
> Do you accidentally know of someone who did something similar to what I
> am looking?

Please keep your replies on-list.

No, I don't know anyone who has done it. As for hoping it'll become
part of the SVN core product, that depends upon usefulness for the SVN
user community at large, an agreed-upon design, and having the
development resources to handle it on top of the rest of the SVN
roadmap. Financial or time contributions can help with achieve this if
it's a feature that you really want.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Demin Morgan <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Karl,

You are correct about - No SOAP or RESTlet access etc and No open
Architecture to allow other Tools to connect to.

 >>- Support for Multiple Repositories
You can though set many repositories, although the search is performed
on one at a time.
 >>- Missing Scheduler which can be used to make a scheduled  based
scanning of repositories.
In the latter versions the scanning is triggered: at user request and at
a scheduled time and/or user query.
 >>May be you can take a look at my lecture on the 2nd Subversion
conference made about SupoSE....
Do you a link?

Cheers,

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Demin,

Posted by Demin Morgan <al...@gmail.com>.
Agreed with versions prior to summer 2008. It evolved quite a bit since
its early release.

Posted by Dextrous <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Demin Morgan <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
> I've had that kind of job "security". It sucks. If you can't be
> replaced, you can't be promoted - nor move on to
> newer/bigger/better  assignments. Plus, the company
> has a very hard time finding someone to
> help you when your workload becomes too large.

It's one of the reasons I haven't touched ClearCase in years. I've
refused many ClearCase jobs even though I could probably be making
quite a bit more. It isn't worth the heartburn.

We use to have a joke on the CCIUG:

ClearCase license: $40,000
Vob Server: $20,000
NetApps to store VOB so it can be backed up without shutting down
ClearCase for hours on end: $200,000
The fact that the whole company now depends upon you, and would come
to a screeching halt if you left, so you can never be fired no matter
how bad budget cuts are: Priceless.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Hemdal <er...@comprehensivepower.com>.
. . . .

> Yet, ClearCase is one of the premiere development tools on
> the market and can be quite powerful. It has one of the best
> merge tools on the market too and even knows how to merge XML files.

I dealt with ClearCase in a past life, and I found that the negative
attributes mentioned before are all too often true.  But in fairness to
ClearCase, it can sometimes be just the tool you need.  I used it when I had
to keep developers in the US and overseas in sync working on about 5 related
projects with shared code.  In two cases, when remote repositories were
completely obliterated, ClearCase's replication features recovered just
about everything.

I would echo the posts of others, though.  You can end up spending thousands
of dollars in installation and training to get ClearCase working well; and
you should be prepared for a high level of ongoing support.

Erik

Re: Search, Search Engine and properties

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
For what you want to do, I don't believe Subversion is the tool for you.

You can try ClearCase which does allow you to search on "attributes"
(what Subversion calls "properties") on the files and versions.

However, ClearCase (from IBM) is expensive, takes lots of user
training, and is a massive resource hog. I also don't like the way
ClearCase "triggers" (what Subversion calls hooks) work. These are
executed on the user's system and can be a bear to maintain because
you have to make sure each user can use it.

ClearCase makes Kernel modifications, and cannot be installed on all
systems. For example, there is still no Macintosh version of ClearCase
(although I do believe there is now a generic Linux version).

You are also going to have to install and maintain ClearCase for your
users. This is no simple download and install. You have to make sure
that the installation is correct.

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Ilan Yaniv <Il...@timetoknow.org> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In my company we are developing lots of assets, it is NOT code.
>
> We have lots of Giga's of animations, graphics etc.
>
> There are many tools out there for content management tools, but since that
> we also develops code, I want that the company will use SVN for assets too.
>
> I offered to use the SVN properties to add metadata for each file.
>
> Example:
>
> Today, if a user is searching for a yellow flower tool, he needs to have
> folder path like: nature\flower\color\yellow.
>
> I want to have: yellow and flower as properties for the file.
>
> The thing is that I will have to run a search for yellow flower on all
> assets properties (and there are hundred of thousands of files) it will take
> me hours to find a file.
>
> If I had database search, the search will be much faster, but this is not
> possible with SVN.
>
> 1)      What should I do, maybe SVN is not the tool that I am looking for?
>
> 2)      Does SVN have search engine?
>
> 3)      Does SVN have search engine for properties?
>
> 4)      Does SVN have a caching mechanism?
>
> 5)      Does SVN have a caching mechanism for properties?
>
> 6)      Is there a third party tool (maybe DB) that I can have indexing
> ability to search for files?
>
> I guess that this list of questions is enough for now, isn't it?
>
> Ilan Yaniv
>
> Configuration Management
>
> Phone: 03-7534333 ext. 5873
>
> Ilan.Yaniv@timetoknow.org