Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com> on 2018/09/13 02:11:47 UTC

CarbonWriterBuild issue

Hi Dev,

I observed that we have added many buildXXXWriter in CarbonWriterBuilder in SDK, but all of them is just different parameter combination. I think it is better to add those parameter by withXXX function, which complies to Builder pattern. Otherwise it is hard to maintain if we keep adding these parameter and new build functions.
Any suggestion on this?

public CarbonWriter buildWriterForCSVInput(Schema schema, Configuration configuration)

public CarbonWriter buildThreadSafeWriterForCSVInput(Schema schema, short numOfThreads, Configuration configuration)

public CarbonWriter buildWriterForAvroInput(org.apache.avro.Schema avroSchema, Configuration configuration)

public CarbonWriter buildThreadSafeWriterForAvroInput(org.apache.avro.Schema avroSchema, short numOfThreads, Configuration configuration)

public JsonCarbonWriter buildWriterForJsonInput(Schema carbonSchema, Configuration configuration)

public JsonCarbonWriter buildThreadSafeWriterForJsonInput(Schema carbonSchema, short numOfThreads, Configuration configuration)

Regards,
Jacky

Re: CarbonWriterBuild issue

Posted by ravipesala <ra...@gmail.com>.
 +1

I feel it is better to remove the transactional flag from sdk  API as it is
redundant currently. we better support it in a better way in future.

Re: CarbonWriterBuild issue

Posted by Ajantha Bhat <aj...@gmail.com>.
Also now we that we support Hadoop conf,

we don't require below API. we can remove them from CarbonWriterBuilder.

*setAccessKeysetAccessKeysetSecretKeysetSecretKeysetEndPointsetEndPoint*
Thanks,
AB

Posted by Ajantha Bhat <aj...@gmail.com>.
@xuchuanyin:

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.
can you provide the full signature of these 3 API?

I’d like to call the method like this :

WriterBuilder
  .csv(CarbonSchma)
  .withXXX(…)
  .build

WriterBuilder
  .avro(AvroSchma)
  .withXXX(…)
  .build

WriterBuilder
  .json(CarbonSchma)
  .withXXX(…)
  .build

Re: CarbonWriterBuild issue

Posted by Ajantha Bhat <aj...@gmail.com>.
yes,

finally, we can keep 3 API with below signatures.

*buildWriterForCSVInput(carbonSchema)buildWriterForAvroInput(avroSchema)buildWriterForJsonInput(carbonSchema)*

and create new methods for

*a) withThreadSafe(NumOfThreads) b) withHadoopConf(configuration)*

Along with these change, I want to simplify some more API.

1) Below 5 table properties methods can be made private.
so that end user uses only withTableProperties API instead of each separate
API.

*public CarbonWriterBuilder sortBy(String[] sortColumns)public
CarbonWriterBuilder withBlockSize(int blockSize)public CarbonWriterBuilder
localDictionaryThreshold(int localDictionaryThreshold)public
CarbonWriterBuilder enableLocalDictionary(boolean
enableLocalDictionary)public CarbonWriterBuilder withBlockletSize(int
blockletSize)*
this is the exposed API for the above configurations.
*public CarbonWriterBuilder withTableProperties(Map<String, String>
options)*

2) Also at SDK side, name transactional and nontransactional doesn't make
sense.
As long as we don't write the metadata folder, it is always
nonTransactional table at write side.

*public CarbonWriterBuilder isTransactionalTable(boolean
isTransactionalTable)*

can we rename above API to isFlatFolderPath ?
Also, at SDK reader side also we can rename this.
and by default keep flat folder as true.

let me know if any suggestions.

So, that I can go ahead with the changes

Thanks,
AB

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.