Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by st...@yahoo.com on 2005/11/30 00:08:18 UTC

Are catalog and schema names largely ignored?

I started looking into DdlUtils as a very attractive approach to deal  with automatic database creation and evolution. After doing some tests  (with postgres so far) and looking into the code, it seems that the  catalogs and schemas of tables are ignored in several places (through  out?) including database comparisons, databases XML I/O, and SQL  generation. As a result, if a user has access to more than one schemas  (possibly sharing some table names) things usually don't work. Is this  a correct assesemt or am I missing something? If it is correct, is this  intentional for some reason or a current implementation limitation?

Re: Are catalog and schema names largely ignored?

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 11/30/05, stathatos2004-list@yahoo.com <st...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I started looking into DdlUtils as a very attractive approach to deal  with automatic database creation and evolution. After doing some tests  (with postgres so far) and looking into the code, it seems that the  catalogs and schemas of tables are ignored in several places (through  out?) including database comparisons, databases XML I/O, and SQL  generation. As a result, if a user has access to more than one schemas  (possibly sharing some table names) things usually don't work. Is this  a correct assesemt or am I missing something? If it is correct, is this  intentional for some reason or a current implementation limitation?

The problem is that the jdbc drivers largely ignore them. E.g.
Connection.setCatalog does nothing in the PostgreSQL JDBC driver. So
if you want to use them, for now you have to use qualified table
names.
DdlUtils could however do the name concatenation which would allow to
use the same XML file with different database schemas. Perhaps you
could create an issue in DdlUtils' JIRA ?

Tom