Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> on 2007/01/17 14:07:01 UTC

Backwards compatibility (was: Re: Issue with multi valued attributes)

Since we made the change to LockableAttributesImpl etc in shared-ldap
this will now impact the store which has serialized objects.

The db for 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 are not compatible.  You must export the DB
then reimport it to goto 1.0.1.

We can rollback this change in 1.0.x.  There was no need to rename these
classes.

This is the reason why I say not to change the 1.0.x branch drastically
and only to fix bugs.  Changing the name of a class in ldap-shared was
fine for 1.5.x but not for 1.0.x.  In general don't get too enthusiastic
in the 1.0 branch.

Should we roll back this useless change that breaks backwards
compatibility between 1.0.1 and 1.0.0?

Regards,
Alex

Re: Backwards compatibility (was: Re: Issue with multi valued attributes)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 1/17/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:

> Since we made the change to LockableAttributesImpl etc in shared-ldap
> this will now impact the store which has serialized objects.
>
> The db for 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 are not compatible.  You must export the DB
> then reimport it to goto 1.0.1.
>
> We can rollback this change in 1.0.x.  There was no need to rename these
> classes.
>
> This is the reason why I say not to change the 1.0.x branch drastically
> and only to fix bugs.  Changing the name of a class in ldap-shared was
> fine for 1.5.x but not for 1.0.x.  In general don't get too enthusiastic
> in the 1.0 branch.

Well, I think we have  had a quick discussion on this point, and as far I
remember, you didn't vetoed the rennaming. But you sghould have :)

I perfectly agree that i was not a good move to rename those classes in
1.0.x, even if it was a good idea in 1.5. We can rollback the modification
if needed (as 1.0.1 is not released yet, this could be a good timing).

However, I just wonder if the renaming will be the only problem that we will
have : the classes AttributesImpl and AttributeImpl not only have been
renamed, but they have been modified ( a new field has been added into
AttributesImpl), so the serialized classes won't be compatible anyway. That
is the bad news. We can get rid of this field if really needed (it's a flag
which is set if the attribute name are case sensitive : in Ldap all the
attributes name are case insensitive).

Such a modification isfeasible, and won't cost a lot (let's say 30 minutes,
tests included). So what do we do ?

Should we roll back this useless change that breaks backwards
> compatibility between 1.0.1 and 1.0.0?

I would vote +1, but it won't be a rollback, only a fix of the fix :
renaming back to the initial name, and removing the flag, forcing all the
attribute's name to be case insensitive.

It drive me to express another concern : what about the installer ?
Christine asked yesturday how we will manage to keep the files and
configuration of X.Y.(N-1) when upgrading to X.Y.N. We may also think about
a export/import process for data, or maybe simpler, a dump of all data just
to avoid any loss.

Damn... So much things we missed  !

Regards,