Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/01 23:27:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Hi,

We solved 14 issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13023&styleName=Html&projectId=11132&Create=Create

There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=11132&status=1

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4bf0db383fc655/

Staging site:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-ear-plugin-2.3.2

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

My +1

Thanks,
Stéphane

--
Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
ping ...

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> For me we have to propose a new minor version as soon as we add a new
> feature.

+1. Just for the new filtering support (BTW, looking at the 20 votes on
the issue I believe some users would call that "a significant feature
set addition") alone a bunch of new goal parameters have been added,
that doesn't look like just a bugfix release. Not to mention the
significant changes to the code base which increase the likelihood for
new bugs and hence don't feel appropriate to be labelled as a bugfix
release IMHO.

This is not to say the release needs to be re-staged, I merely wanted to
support Arnaud's sentiment about the versioning scheme.

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
For me we have to propose a new minor version as soon as we add a new
feature.I think it's a problem we have to think that we need to add many
things to be able to do a new minor version.
We should better release often with less features than to wait X monthes to
have a new big release with many new bugs.
(this is applicable for plugins but also for core on which we made similar
errors)

--
Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
It's a nice to havelet's go for it like this

--
Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I didn't know this one.+1

Arnaud

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:

> Wendy Smoak wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't really wan't to block a release with nice a new feature for
> >> only a number :-).
> >
> > Do we have development guidelines for what constitutes
> > major/minor/patch/alpha/beta versions documented?   Maybe adding that,
> > plus a step or note in the release process to review the fixed issues
> > and make sure the next version number is appropriate would be good.
> >

> Apache Commons has this pretty well documented at
> http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html
>
> Perhaps we can use that as a base for a document of our own.
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I don't think. Otherwise we shouldn't have like now 2 versions schemes in
parallel : - alpha/beta (in plugins and core 3.0)
- milestone/releases candidates (in core 2.X)

For me a version should be Major.Minor.Patch[Mx|RCx]:
- Major :
* can break backward compatibility
- Minor :
* don't break backward compatibility (don't remove or modify the behavior of
existing features).
* Can add new features.
* Can fix bugs
- Patch :
* don't break backward compatibility (don't remove or modify the behavior of
existing features).
* Cannot add new features.
* Can fix bugs

-Milestones and Releases Candidates are used to produce new major or minor
versions

- Milestone (also known as alpha)
* Content evolves.
* Can break everything (but should keep backward compat for a minor version)
* must be shared with few users

- Release Candidate (also known as beta)
* Content is stable
* Fix issues found in Milestones and RCs
* Can be shared with early adopters

Arnaud

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't really wan't to block a release with nice a new feature for
> > only a number :-).
>
> Do we have development guidelines for what constitutes
> major/minor/patch/alpha/beta versions documented?   Maybe adding that,
> plus a step or note in the release process to review the fixed issues
> and make sure the next version number is appropriate would be good.
>
> --
> Wendy

Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I don't really wan't to block a release with nice a new feature for
only a number :-).
If stephan has some time to delete the tag and restart the release
process etc etc..
Yes a 2.4 will be better but I don't consider this blocker.

--
Olivier

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1 but for a 2.4 or 2.3.2 ?
Arnaud

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
> --
> Olivier
>

> 2009/3/1 Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We solved 14 issues:
> >
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=13023&styleName=Html&projectId=11132&Create=Create
> >
> > There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> >
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=11132&status=1
> >
> > Staging repo:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-staging-4bf0db383fc655/
> >
> > Staging site:
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-ear-plugin-2.3.2
> >
> > Guide to testing staged releases:
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
> >
> > Vote open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1
> > [ ] +0
> > [ ] -1
> >
> > My +1
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stéphane
> >

> > --
> > Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one, you
> > suck" -- S.Yegge

Arnaud

Re: [VOTE] Release Maven ear plugin version 2.3.2

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
The vote has passed with the following result :

+1 (binding): Benjamin, Olivier, Arnaud, Stéphane

I will promote the artifacts to the central repo.

S.