Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Beecroft <ma...@beeks.freeserve.co.uk> on 2002/07/22 02:30:10 UTC

filtering --> 2 servlets

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I am using Tomcat 4 and have 2 servlets between which I would like to split
processing. Servlet A needs to process all requests corresponding to the
patterns "*.html", "*.html" and "/". Servlet B needs to process all other
requests. The short question is how can I do this?

I am currently using filters but am finding it difficult to cater for the
pattern "/". The only option seems to be the use of the url mapping "/*"
to invoke a filter class, but then how does processing get to Servlet B? If I
only invoke chain.doFilter() when the pathinfo satisfies the conditions of
Servlet A then I can get Servlet A working normally, but there seems no way
of ever invoking Servlet B with such a configuration. To demonstrate:

http://www.domainname.com/index.html --> Servlet A
http://www.domainname.com/whatever.htm --> Servlet A
http://www.domainname.com/ --> servlet A
http://www.domainname.com/image.jpeg --> no Servlet accessed

What I really would like is a more versatile url-pattern element, but does
anyone have a solution for my current situation... please...

Cheers,
Mark
P.S. If you help me out I'll by you a pint when you next come to England!