Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/07 17:07:22 UTC

Remove (experimental) from FlatLaf Dark

Dear all, Karl,

Feature freeze is closing for 11.3 (next week). Thanks to Karl and other
active community members, FlatLaf Dark has progressed a lot and it is a
completely usable modern dark Laf for NetBeans. It can make the Darcula
plugin (AFAIK, the most downloaded NetBeans plugin from the plugin
portal) obsolete. I see only 4 fixable issues:

1. Form designer: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1846

2. The versioning annotations and diff colors needs some adjustments to
the dark theme.

3. The border color of the search bar does not follow the LaF palette. I
guess that's just one line in a property file change.

4. Unbounded progress bar height is really small. (I do not know that it
is by design, but for me it's visually confusing)

Does anybody see anything else, before we could remove the
(experimental) adjective from this LaF?

BTW FlatLaf Light looks good as well it just missing some coloring
review and perhaps a fitting Editor Color theme.

Re: Remove (experimental) from FlatLaf Dark

Posted by Tomáš Procházka <ka...@razdva.cz>.
Found another minor issue with property color in auto-complete windows:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3706

Anyway FlatLaf Dark is great, I was coding with it whole day and did not
found any major issue making me to go back to Darcula LaF plugin.

With regards.

Tomáš Procházka

Re: Remove (experimental) from FlatLaf Dark

Posted by Tomáš Procházka <ka...@razdva.cz>.
Thank you.

I tried it and highlighted code is readable now.

There seems to be another problem with coloring of ignored files.
Filed issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-3701

On 2020/01/16 03:08:25, Laszlo Kishalmi <l....@gmail.com> wrote: > Check
this one: https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/1875> > > On 1/14/20
11:44 PM, Tomáš Procházka wrote:> > > Hi,> > > when FlatLaf Dark is used
and code coverage is displayed, then> > > background color of both
covered and uncovered lines makes code hard to> > > read.> > >> > >
Similar problem was also reported for Darcula plugin:> > >
https://github.com/Revivius/nb-darcula/issues/131> > >> > > Thanks to
all for your work on making NetBeans looking and working great.> > >> >

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Good catch!

Though it is out of FlatLaf, just checked the code those colors are hard
coded in the coverage support code.

I'm going to create an issue to have those configurable through the
Editor highlights, then we could apply different default colors to them
per Editor Profile.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes, first and foremost on the status bar. Some builds are switching
from unbounded to bounded and we have a text a tiny progress bar then a
close icon.

Waiting for the next library drop! Thank you!

Posted by Karl Tauber <ka...@jformdesigner.com>.
Laszlo,

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your good eyes Eirik!

"Maximize use of native look and feel" is only used for Open File
action. I guess it is more used in platform applications, than in the
IDE itself. I might keep it, however it shall be enabled only when
native LaF is selected.

Posted by tygrysekHD <ty...@gmail.com>.
One thing from me.

When you use light FlatLAF
And you set "Tab placement" option to the "Right" value
Then the horizontal separator line between tabs with file names are hard
to see

Siemka ,

Piotr

Posted by Karl Tauber <ka...@jformdesigner.com>.