Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Victor Benso <vb...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/02 16:24:38 UTC

ESP32's RMT driver PR

Hi everyone,

Recently I came in need of adding a WS2812 LED to one of my ESP32 projects
that run NuttX.
The existing support already on NuttX for such LEDs needed an SPI
interface. In the board in question we are short on SPIs, SPI2 is running
the SDCard with some load and the other(SPI3) is used by some MCP2515
controllers, so I decided to use the RMT peripheral.
The running application can be seen at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmOh9iGzwtk

After some advice from Alan Assis I've managed to make it work. So I've
decided to submit a PR (https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/pull/6992
).

I hope that everything is in order with the implementation, but given that
it is my first time doing this, there are so many things that can go wrong.
If this is the case, please let me know what must be done in order to fix
it.
Thanks,

Victor A. P. Benso

(47) 999-229-599
(65) 999-186-147

Re: ESP32's RMT driver PR

Posted by Tomek CEDRO <to...@cedro.info>.
On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 6:25 PM Victor Benso wrote:
> Recently I came in need of adding a WS2812 LED to one of my ESP32 projects
> that run NuttX.
> The existing support already on NuttX for such LEDs needed an SPI
> interface. In the board in question we are short on SPIs, SPI2 is running
> the SDCard with some load and the other(SPI3) is used by some MCP2515
> controllers, so I decided to use the RMT peripheral.
> The running application can be seen at
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmOh9iGzwtk
>
> After some advice from Alan Assis I've managed to make it work. So I've
> decided to submit a PR (https://github.com/apache/incubator-nuttx/pull/6992
> ).
>
> I hope that everything is in order with the implementation, but given that
> it is my first time doing this, there are so many things that can go wrong.
> If this is the case, please let me know what must be done in order to fix
> it.
> Thanks,
>
> Victor A. P. Benso

Hey there Victor! Current ESP32 implementation of MicroPython uses RMT
as NeoPixel (WS2812) driver, it is written in C, you can check that
out and compare :-)

Re: ESP32's RMT driver PR

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Victor,

It should be better if you had shown me the code before submitting the
PR, now you will need to face a longer review process! :-)

BR,

Alan