Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2017/07/14 15:29:17 UTC

Releases of rOpenWhisk (was: Updating Package and Language versions for a kind)

James, all,

“If OpenWhisk did start to produce "releases""

I had it in my backlog to ask this - are we ready to do releases? I think we are, but wondered if something is holding us back that I am not aware of…

Michael

Re: Releases of rOpenWhisk (was: Updating Package and Language versions for a kind)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
+1

Start rolling out releases shows the maturity of the project. Besides
that's a very important indicator for formal Incubator assessments​.

Definitely the first release is the hardest. So don't hesitate to get all
the possible help from us the mentors.

Posted by Raymond Camden <ra...@gmail.com>.
And it would be great if this was accompanied with a good blog post
detailing the high points. To be clear, not a list of changes, PRs,
whatever. That's important - but most developers want a summarized
list of the important updates.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM, James Thomas <jt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 on moving towards an official regular release process.
>
> This would also improve my life as a maintainer of open-source tools that
> integrate with OpenWhisk.
> The project is moving at an increasing velocity, which is a good sign 😎,
> but I'm finding it extremely difficult to keep up with changes as a
> "downstream" consumer.
>
> It would be ideal to have official releases that the providers could then
> advertise as being available on their platforms.
>
> On 14 July 2017 at 16:29, Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

Raymond Camden, Developer Advocate at IBM

Email : raymondcamden@gmail.com
Blog : www.raymondcamden.com
Twitter: raymondcamden

Re: Releases of rOpenWhisk (was: Updating Package and Language versions for a kind)

Posted by James Thomas <jt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
> “If OpenWhisk did start to produce "releases""

Apache podlings have to produce releases in order to graduate. The
technical quality of those releases is not really important from the
Incubator's point of view, what counts is that the release process and
contents are according to Apache rules and principles.

So yes, doing releases would be great.

-Bertrand