Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Yuri Mizushima <eq...@apache.org> on 2023/11/28 08:03:51 UTC

[VOTE] PIP-282: Change definition of the recently joined consumers position

Hi, Pulsar Community

This thread is starting a vote for PIP-282.

PIP design PR:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/20776

discussion thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/69fpb0d30y7pc02k3zvg2lpb2lj0smdg

Motivation

Key_Shared has a mechanism called the "recently joined consumers" to keep
message ordering.
However, currently, it doesn't care about some corner cases.

1. [issue-1] The race condition in the "recently joined consumers", where
consumers can be added before finishing reading and dispatching messages
from ledgers.
2. [issue-2] Messages could be added to messagesToRedeliver without
consumer-side operations such as unacknowledgement.

We should care about these cases in Key_Shared subscription.

Yuri Mizushima
equanz@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] PIP-282: Change definition of the recently joined consumers position

Posted by Nozomi Kurihara <nk...@apache.org>.
+1

Thanks,
Nozomi