Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2003/10/02 20:57:37 UTC

Re: PDF output has null in it

On 29.09.2003 22:17:18 Jeremy Nix wrote:
> I'm currently trying to determine why a PDF generated through XSL and
> FOP is not being converted correctly when processed through a RightFax
> server (takes email attachments and converts them to images for faxing).
> When I've created PDF's using other methods, the resulting image is
> pretty clear.  So, after some comparing of the 2 pdf's (1 that was
> clear, and the other that was unclear), I saw that the XSL-FO generated
> PDF contained the following line: "/Producer (null) >>".  Is this
> normal?

Normal? Depends on the POV. Valid? Yes. It simply means that the
producer of the PDF document hasn't been set. I'm sure this is not
having any impact on the output you're getting from RightFax. Since
Acrobat Reader displays FOP's PDFs correctly I assume RightFax's PDF
engine may be either buggy or maybe a bit unflexible with certain
constructs. I suggest contacting RightFax's creators asking them to
analyze a PDF generated by FOP for you and tell you whether we've done
something wrong or if they did.

> Oh, and anyone who can point me in the direction to a tool that can
> validate the integrity of a PDF file will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know of any. Just try some other PDF viewers such as GhostScript
and check their output.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: PDF output has null in it

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Just try some other PDF viewers

Xpdf is somewhat useful too. There are precompiled binaries
for all kinds of OS including Windows.

There are a bunch of other PDF libraries on source forge
which may alse be leveraged. They'll probably glad for
any test run...

J.Pietschmann