Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike McMullen <ml...@loanprocessing.net> on 2006/04/05 22:24:18 UTC

[users@httpd] Require differences between 2.0.53 and 2.2.0

Hi All,

I am putting in a new server to replace an old server we are using.

The old server is running FC3 and Apache 2.0.53.

The new server is running FC5 and Apache 2.2.0.

We have a small user base and use .htaccess file to manage
access in people's public_html directories using "require user".

We also have a small support staff that access user' public_html
directories with "require group".

Under 2.0.53 in the .htaccess file we would have both the
"require group" and the "require user" lines. Both people
in the group and the named user could access the directory
just fine.

Under 2.2.0 it appears that the last "require" line is the only
one that is allowed to access the folder.

Is there a setting or way to have both the "require group" and
the "require user" work? I want the access to be this user and
this group.

TIA,

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Require differences between 2.0.53 and 2.2.0

Posted by Mike McMullen <ml...@loanprocessing.net>.
> I am putting in a new server to replace an old server we are using.
>
> The old server is running FC3 and Apache 2.0.53.
>
> The new server is running FC5 and Apache 2.2.0.
>
> We have a small user base and use .htaccess file to manage
> access in people's public_html directories using "require user".
>
> We also have a small support staff that access user' public_html
> directories with "require group".
>
> Under 2.0.53 in the .htaccess file we would have both the
> "require group" and the "require user" lines. Both people
> in the group and the named user could access the directory
> just fine.
>
> Under 2.2.0 it appears that the last "require" line is the only
> one that is allowed to access the folder.
> Is there a setting or way to have both the "require group" and
> the "require user" work? I want the access to be this user and
> this group.

Some additional info, I have looked in the 2.2.0 server's ssl_error_log and I see
the following error:

access to /~someid failed, reason: user 'myid' does not meet 'require'ments for user/valid-user to
be allowed access

However, I have verified that 'myid' is in the staff group. The standard .htaccess file looks
something
like this:

  AuthName "Some User's Data"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthUserFile /Our/data/users
  AuthGroupFile /Our/data/groups

  require group staff
  require user someid

If I remove the require user line I can access the folder by my id being in the groups file.
Of course the user can't.

Under 2.0.53 this works so that either the user or the people in the group can authenticate
and access the data.

What am I missing here?

TIA

Mike