Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Zeev Sands <ze...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/28 14:40:27 UTC

Custom glyph maps for a PDF fonts

Hello everyone,

I've been using pdfbox 2.0 for a couple of weeks and came across an
issue with a couple of symbol fonts (WPIconicSymbolsA and
WPTypographicSymbols).:
I need to convert the symbols to their unicode equivalents if possible,
so I cooked up a small class to do that. No problems there.

My issue is - some of the symbols coming in are already being converted
and some are not. I do see that there is a list of glyphs that is being
loaded to do just that (glyphlist.txt) and there is an additional list
(additional.txt) for more glyphs. What I don't understand is how a glyph
can be mapped without specifying a font name, for example in
WPIconicSymbolsA dec 33 is an outline of a heart, in
WPTypographicSymbols dec 33 is a large filled dot.

So to be specific, my questions are :

   Is there any way to give pdf box a map *per font*?

   What is the philosophy of glyph conversion how are different fonts
converted to different unicode characters?

Please, let me know if I am looking at the whole thing incorrectly.
Perhaps there is an easier way...

Thank you,
Zeev