Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mike Trotman <mi...@datalucid.com> on 2005/10/31 12:57:45 UTC

Re: Full page Backgroundimage plus independent header/footer

I use absolutely positioned block-containers containing
external-graphics for some images and for drawing surrounding borders etc.
You can position this anywhere on the page.

You could place this in one of the other regions - but you would need to
check the z-order works OK and doesn't overlap your content.
e.g.
        <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
                     <fo:block-container position='absolute' top='1cm'
left='0.0cm' height='19.2cm' width='{$PAGEWID_CM}cm' border='1px solid
silver'>
                     </fo:block-container>
                     <fo:block-container position='absolute' top='1.5cm'
left='{$PAGEWID_CM - 1.5}cm' height='2.7cm' width='1.7cm' border='none'>
                             <fo:block>
     <fo:external-graphic src='url({$SERVER}/DRE/images/img_2.jpg)'
height='1cm' content-height='1cm'/>
                             </fo:block>
                     </fo:block-container>
             </fo:static-content>

I think - from past experiments with FOP 0.02.5 - you may find that a
background image is the only one that will be behind your content.
FOP 0.20.5 doesn't support the zorder attribute (or whatever it is)
and overlays regions in a different priority thatn XEP (and probably
other FO engines).

Also - the top LH coords for absolute postioning seem to differ for FOP
0.20.5 and XEP.
I can't remember exactly how - but almost like - one uses the page and
one uses the enclosing region
(which can mean that your image doesn't appear unless you add a large
negative X displacement).

HTH

Mike

Posted by Tim Dylla <ti...@fhtw-berlin.de>.
Hmmm, I've got no problems to put the header/footer into the right
place, and as you already stated, FOP doesn't support zorder attributes.
If I place the background image in any other region than body, it will
cover the body-regions content.
I think I have to decide, before it's too late, if I should use FOP at
all. I just have to produce some PDF-content from within a
Java-Application. Just some minutes ago, I found the iText -
Java-Library from Bruno Lowagie and co. I think this is the way to go
for me.

Nevertheless: many thanks for the answer!

Best,

	Tim