Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2003/10/05 22:44:47 UTC

Re: Using POM properties in xdocs

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:00, Arik Kfir wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use POM properties in xdoc files? If so, how?

There isn't actually a way to interpolate the POM generally into the
xdocs but now that I realize that isn't possible that seems strange. I'm
surprised you are the first to ask.

> I imagine some sort of token filtering on these files should be applied before generating the site, but I'm not quite sure where to start, as I am a bit new to maven, and I was also hoping some sort of an automated mechanism is available before custom work needs to be done (perhaps a preGoal to the site:generate?).

A quick fix would be simply the take the tree of produced xdocs and use
the velocity jelly tag to simply place the $pom in the context and
process all the xdocs to produce a version with the $pom values
expanded.

This is probably something we should add generally.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Using POM properties in xdocs

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@bezeqint.net>.
Hi,

Thanks Jason, I'll look into that. I also wanted to commend Maven for
stepping into a hole no product including Ant has (to my knowledge) filled -
defining the processes (via plugins and goals) used through project
developments. Defining a goal for every standard process (war:war for
creating war files, etc) is a step in the correct path. However it seems
that even though a lot of work has been put into defining these goals, they
are not documented enough.

I believe a document is in place to specify and diffrenciate between inner,
implementation-related goals (such as site:generate) and the more public,
process-oriented goals that are aimed at the developers of the project (I
know there is a document specifying a complete list of WHICH goals are
defined, but it does not define the correct goal, or a goal-combination, for
each task during development - should I use jar:jar, dist, etc'). For
trivial tasks it is sometimes obvious, but not always.

None-the-less: well done Maven team!