Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com> on 2000/12/20 07:20:19 UTC

Re: Apache::ASP NFS Clustering

Tuc wrote:

> This will only work if the NFS attributes on the client
> mount are set to no caching.
>
> It seems to work great in 2 known web clusters.
> -------------
>
>         Wondering if you can expand on this a little.  We are
> trying to do DBM on NFS and think it might be causing a problem.
> Setting no caching has been suggested...

Setting no caching on your NFS is a good step, but ...

I personally wouldn't do this, as DB_File needs write locking
to maintain data integrity or they could become corrupt.
I believe they were using it at RedHat, without problems, but
if it were me, I wouldn't.  I would stick with the default
SDBM_File, which is really hard to corrupt, but you have the
1024 key/value byte limit, so its not good for storing large
objects.

If you really want DB_File, I would use a samba mount which
I tested recently, and does support file locking very well.
You may get away with using DB_File over NFS for session state
if your site doesn't have frames, because you wouldn't expect
concurrent access to $Session under those conditions.

If you don't need Session_OnStart / Session_OnEnd events,
then you can easily create a database backed Apache::Session
solution, by setting $Session in global.asa Script_OnStart

-- Josh

Joshua Chamas			        Chamas Enterprises Inc.
NodeWorks >> free web link monitoring	Huntington Beach, CA  USA