Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave <bm...@apache.org> on 2022/08/18 16:06:38 UTC

Templates Website Failure

We are getting more and more complainants about Template and Extension
authors being unable to access these sites.
To check the issue I tried register at the Templates site and received a
totally garbage response. First it claims to be unable to send an email,
then falsely claims to have sent an email to may address.
See:
https://www.mediafire.com/view/to0htjvimtowdi0/AOO_Template_Site_Failure.png/file
Can you please provide me the contact details of the project member who
has admin privileges for the Templates & Extensions website, or give me
admin privileges and I will try to fix these issues and maintain the sites.

TIA Dave

Re: Templates Website Failure

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 18/08/22 Dave wrote:
>> But I would suggest a simpler approach now: we can try and configure
>> an account to be used for sending mail (even a GMail account will do)
>> and update the site configuration to use GMail as SMTP. And then, if
>> it works, we replace it with a more reasonable sender, like an
>> apache.org address. ...
>
> Configuring a sending account seems like a reasonable idea.
> Yes, I am more than happy to help out with any necessary testing.

It took many attempts but I believe it works now. A simple way to test
it is to register a new user at

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/user/register

or request a password reset mail (that you can simply ignore) at

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/user/password

Some more details:

- I've only fixed Extensions so far, but Templates should be identical

- I tried with a GMail account created to this purpose, but it didn't
work: while I enabled POP/IMAP (and thus SMTP, I assume) in the GMail
settings, the site cannot connect to it. Port 465 is blocked on the
SourceForge side it seems, so port 587 with STARTTLS is the only viable
option; it connects, but for some reason GMail refuses credentials;
maybe websites must use the GMail API (which would be an issue, as the
application doesn't support it) to connect to GMail? Feedback welcome if
someone has already configured GMail SMTP successfully on a website.

- Then I simply created an account on a personally-owned SMTP server and
retried, with port 587 and STARTTLS. This worked for me. This is the
currently configured option, so if you are testing this is the one you
will test.

- Then I briefly tried with my ASF credentials and the ASF mail server
mail-relay.apache.org still 587/STARTTLS. It worked! But of course I
cannot leave my credentials in the site configuration so I reverted it
to the (working) option above.

Suggested steps forward:

1) We get confirmation that this is fixed not only for me

2) Then I can apply the same fix to Templates and have a fix in place,
where the only drawback is that it uses my server

3) Then I would create a new issue like the abandoned
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21334 so that INFRA can
advise on whether we have a way to use the ASF mail server but without
storing personal credentials.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Templates Website Failure

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Am 30.08.22 um 00:26 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>> On Aug 29, 2022, at 2:47 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 29/08/22 Peter Kovacs wrote:
>>> We have 3 servers. Maybe we can deploy the service there?
>> Technically this would be possible, sure
> Yes, but do we want to support Drupal ourselves? It’s something like OpenGrok, Pootle, MediaWiki, and phpBB that will need periodic maintenance.

I talked about an email service so the drupal Website can sent passwort
reset emails. Not the drupal site itself.

>> But I think these sites were moved to external hosting since the ASF had concerns, at the time, with the many different licenses used by the Extensions and Templates hosted on those sites.
> Exactly
>> I don't know if things have changed now. Otherwise this would still be the main reason for hosting the two sites outside the ASF.
> And still.

If everyone is touching this system with a 10 feet pole. I am not sure
if the AOO extension service is in an healthy situation for the project
. I mean there is still the FSF statement [1] on the net, which is not
nice. The current situation is that Andrea is stepping up for the email
service. I do not have the feeling that the extension page is much of an
interest to SF.net. And it seems the ASF is also not particular fond of
this system.

Should we maybe rethink the extension web service? Before volunteers can
work what to do, we need to have a vision, and clearly make plans what
to do.

All the best

Peter

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrea,

We have 3 servers. Maybe we can deploy the service there?

Maybe best is because we get more and more services that we start to use
containers.

What do you think?

all the best

Peter

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 20/08/22 Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> 1) We get confirmation that this is fixed not only for me
>>
>> 2) Then I can apply the same fix to Templates and have a fix in place,
>> where the only drawback is that it uses my server
>>
>> 3) Then I would create a new issue like the abandoned
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21334 so that INFRA can
>> advise on whether we have a way to use the ASF mail server but without
>> storing personal credentials.
>
> I successfully registered an account and received the congraulations
> e-mail to my @apache.org address

Thank you and Dave for testing.

I've gone ahead and:

- Implemented the same solution (i.e., mail is relayed through my SMTP
server) on the Templates site; so the Templates site will now work too

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> On 18/08/22 Dave wrote:
>>> But I would suggest a simpler approach now: we can try and configure
>>> an account to be used for sending mail (even a GMail account will do)
>>> and update the site configuration to use GMail as SMTP. And then, if
>>> it works, we replace it with a more reasonable sender, like an
>>> apache.org address. ...
>>
>> Configuring a sending account seems like a reasonable idea.
>> Yes, I am more than happy to help out with any necessary testing.
>
> It took many attempts but I believe it works now. A simple way to test
> it is to register a new user at
>
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/user/register
>
> or request a password reset mail (that you can simply ignore) at
>
> https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/user/password
>
> Some more details:
>
> - I've only fixed Extensions so far, but Templates should be identical
>
> - I tried with a GMail account created to this purpose, but it didn't
> work: while I enabled POP/IMAP (and thus SMTP, I assume) in the GMail
> settings, the site cannot connect to it. Port 465 is blocked on the
> SourceForge side it seems, so port 587 with STARTTLS is the only viable
> option; it connects, but for some reason GMail refuses credentials;
> maybe websites must use the GMail API (which would be an issue, as the
> application doesn't support it) to connect to GMail? Feedback welcome if
> someone has already configured GMail SMTP successfully on a website.
>
> - Then I simply created an account on a personally-owned SMTP server and
> retried, with port 587 and STARTTLS. This worked for me. This is the
> currently configured option, so if you are testing this is the one you
> will test.
>
> - Then I briefly tried with my ASF credentials and the ASF mail server
> mail-relay.apache.org still 587/STARTTLS. It worked! But of course I
> cannot leave my credentials in the site configuration so I reverted it
> to the (working) option above.
>
> Suggested steps forward:
>
> 1) We get confirmation that this is fixed not only for me
>
> 2) Then I can apply the same fix to Templates and have a fix in place,
> where the only drawback is that it uses my server
>
> 3) Then I would create a new issue like the abandoned
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-21334 so that INFRA can
> advise on whether we have a way to use the ASF mail server but without
> storing personal credentials.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.
Andrea

I successfully registered an account and received the congraulations
e-mail to my @apache.org address

Regards
Keith

Re: Templates Website Failure

Posted by Dave <bm...@apache.org>.

On 18/08/2022 17:33, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> We are getting more and more complainants about Template and Extension
>> authors being unable to access these sites.
>
> I'm catching up with mail and indeed I see this is a recurrent issue.
>
>> To check the issue I tried register at the Templates site and received a
>> totally garbage response. First it claims to be unable to send an email,
>> then falsely claims to have sent an email to may address.
>
> The issue is of course with the first part, i.e., it doesn't send out
> mail. It is a rather ordinary failure, it is simply unable to send
> mail since SourceForge disabled the feature (if I recall correctly; I
> looked into this in early 2021). And the solution is rather ordinary
> too: we just need to configure outgoing mail properly.
>
>> Can you please provide me the contact details of the project member who
>> has admin privileges for the Templates & Extensions website, or give me
>> admin privileges and I will try to fix these issues and maintain the
>> sites.
>
> Several of us have admin privileges, including Matthias, Pedro and me.
> I had started fixing the issue long ago but that got stuck in JIRA
> mostly due to misunderstandings. See
>
> But I would suggest a simpler approach now: we can try and configure
> an account to be used for sending mail (even a GMail account will do)
> and update the site configuration to use GMail as SMTP. And then, if
> it works, we replace it with a more reasonable sender, like an
> apache.org address.
>
> Honestly I haven't connected to the sites in several months, but if
> you are up for testing I can find some time in the next couple days so
> that we can fix the issue. It is 100% reproducible and 100% broken so
> whatever comes out of this attempt won't make the situation worse!
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Hi Andrea,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.