Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Arijit Mukherjee <ar...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/20 14:02:06 UTC

network bandwidth question

Hi All

We're trying to set up a Cassandra cluster (initially with 3 nodes). Each
node will generate data @ 32MB per second. What would be the likely network
usage for this (say with a replication factor of 3)?

I mean, if I use simple arithmetic, I can say 32MBps per node, and hence
96MBps in total as network traffic - but should I consider any other factors
(like handshaking or keep-alive packets)?

Regards
Arijit

--
"And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,

Re: network bandwidth question

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
You can assume that's negligible compared to the data traffic.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Arijit Mukherjee <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We're trying to set up a Cassandra cluster (initially with 3 nodes). Each
> node will generate data @ 32MB per second. What would be the likely network
> usage for this (say with a replication factor of 3)?
>
> I mean, if I use simple arithmetic, I can say 32MBps per node, and hence
> 96MBps in total as network traffic - but should I consider any other factors
> (like handshaking or keep-alive packets)?
>
> Regards
> Arijit
>
> --
> "And when the night is cloudy,
> There is still a light that shines on me,
> Shine on until tomorrow, let it be."

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra