Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> on 2006/06/14 15:15:00 UTC

WC format silently upgraded?

I've been using a trunk build of svn with a working copy created by
1.1.4 (from Debian stable). All I ever did was run "svn st" and "svn
revert", yet the .svn/entries file was silently upgraded to the new,
non-XML format.

What gives? I thought we decided not to do that?

-- Brane

Re: WC format silently upgraded?

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 12:33:15PM +0200, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> > If it helps, you can compile the client with -DSVN_DISABLE_WC_UPGRADE.
> > That'll give you a client that errors out instead of silently upgrading
> > the wc.
> >
> It's a bit late for that ;)

Well, obviously :-)  But if it's something you think might have the
potential to cause you a problem in the future, you may want to consider
compiling like that by default.  I've been saved from accidentally
upgrading my 1.3.x-era wc to the 1.4.x format several times since I
started using it.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: WC format silently upgraded?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:31:42AM +0200, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>> Ah. O.K., thanks; somehow my memory told me that we decided not to
>> update the format automagically. Obviously my memory needs a vacation.
>>

> If it helps, you can compile the client with -DSVN_DISABLE_WC_UPGRADE.
> That'll give you a client that errors out instead of silently upgrading
> the wc.

It's a bit late for that ;)

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
Branko ?ibej writes:
 > I've been using a trunk build of svn with a working copy created by
 > 1.1.4 (from Debian stable). All I ever did was run "svn st" and "svn
 > revert", yet the .svn/entries file was silently upgraded to the new,
 > non-XML format.
 >
 > What gives? I thought we decided not to do that?

Huh? When did we decide that? revert opens the WC with a write lock
which means an upgrade.  status does not upgrade.

Note that this isn't specific to the non-xml format.  This happened at
wc-replacement approx. 10 months ago.

Regards,
//Peter