Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org> on 2016/12/16 14:25:48 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA AS 2.9.0 released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache
UIMA-AS version 2.9.0, which includes asynchronous scaleout capabilities
for the UIMA annotators.

UIMA-AS includes the base UIMA SDK and augments it with scaleout
capability; it is a next-generation replacement for the original CPM
(Collection Processing Management) scaleout that is part of the core UIMA
Framework. For more information, please visit:

http://uima.apache.org/doc-uimaas-what.html

This release contains a number of improvements and bug fixes. Notable
updates in this release include:

  - Updated to use Activemq 5.14.0
  - Added dependency on UIMA SDK 2.9.0
  - Fixed http based service connectivity
  - Added support for automatic recovery of temp queues after broker
restart.
  - Fixed per CAS Performance Metrics breakdown
  - Fixed per process CPU & RSS reporting
  - Fixed example runtime configurations
  - Fixed error recovery on exception while deserializing a CAS
  - "Pinned" JMX MBeans to a specific deployment to enable orderly cleanup
  - Fixed support of AMQ white listing of packages
  - Added support to disable JMX via a new argument
-Duima.as.enable.jmx=false
  - Fixed dd2spring issues
  - Updated version checker to test compatibility with UIMA SDK.

For a complete list of bugs and improvements included in this release
please see
https://uima.apache.org/d/uima-as-2.9.0/issuesFixed/jira-report.html.

-- Jerry Cwiklik, for the Apache UIMA development team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA AS 2.9.0 released

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <cw...@apache.org>.
Hi, thank you for your comments. I'll definitely incorporate your
suggestions in the next UIMA-AS announcement. Here is an additional
information that can be included in the future:

"The Unstructured Information Management Architecture (UIMA) is a component
framework supporting development, discovery, composition, and deployment of
multi-modal analytics tasked with the analysis of unstructured information.

Apache UIMA is an Apache licensed open source implementation of the UIMA
specification which is being developed by a technical committee within
OASIS, a standards organization. The implementation comprises an SDK and
tooling for composing and running analytic components written in Java and
C++, with some support for Perl, Python and TCL.

UIMA Asynchronous Scaleout (AS) is an augmented version of Apache UIMA that
additionally provides a set of capabilities for achieving flexible scaleout
of UIMA analytics. It is the next generation scalability replacement for
the UIMA Collection Processing Manager (CPM) adding support for flow
controllers and Cas Multipliers. The AS design is based on JMS (Java
Message Service) which enables clients to submit multiple Work Items before
receiving a response. The UIMA AS supports load balancing, error handling
and recovery from errors, metrics collection and performance reporting to
help identify bottlenecks in complex deployments."

Let me know if the description makes it clear what the project is about.
Any suggestions/corrections to the text above are welcomed.

Thanks

-Jerry Cwiklik

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.