Posted to dev@yetus.apache.org by Casey Brotherton <cb...@cloudera.com> on 2016/09/28 14:37:29 UTC

[DISCUSS]: change suggestion for small improvements/ Github Pull for Yetus

Hello,

In walking through the code, I had seen a couple of places where a minor
change
would be beneficial to the overall project.

( Clarifying a log message, adding a log message, etc )

What would be the best vehicle for encouraging contributor patches for
small improvements?

Discussed offline, these seem to be two approaches:

1)  Ask the contributor to open a full jira, attach the one line diff.
  Pro:  This provides a solid record of why the code is changed.
  Con:  Somewhat heavy weight for the occasional contributor.

2)  Open a Github pull request
  Pro:  Very simple for a casual contributor
  Con:  May lack some of the documentation of why something was changed.
  May be even more heavy weight for committers.

  Currently the ASF GitHub Bot is not enabled for the YETUS project.

Is there a preference on one of these.  Is there a third option not yet
listed?

Thanks,
Casey

Re: [DISCUSS]: change suggestion for small improvements/ Github Pull for Yetus

Posted by Casey Brotherton <cb...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

For the initial question, it seems that for small changes, an individual
jira is best for each suggestion.
  -- Current risks with using github PR's,
  -- as well as some folks use the Jira text for commit messages.

Beyond that, there are a couple of action items that we should track:

1)  github PR encourage merges, and multiple files.
  We need to make the github interface better about determining when to
grab a diff to ensure that we don't have multiple files
  in a commit  -- I will open a lower priority Jira to track this.

2)  precommit should be enabled to write to Github requests if we enable PR
handling on Yetus.
  I don't fully understand this.
  I will open a Jira, but will not be able to put more details than what is
in here.

3)  With #1 and #2, we can open a Jira to track using Github PR on Yetus.
  I will check and open a Jira to track this and #1/#2

4)  Jenkins code should be merged into the Yetus git repository.
  Where is it located now?  If I have the location, I can open a Jira for
this.

Thank you for the discussions!
Casey

--
Casey J. Brotherton
Customer Operations Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS]: change suggestion for small improvements/ Github Pull for Yetus

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
On Sep 29, 2016 14:02, "Allen Wittenauer" <aw...@effectivemachines.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 28, 2016, at 7:37 AM, Casey Brotherton <cb...@cloudera.com>
wrote:
> > 2)  Open a Github pull request
>
>         I realize you are thinking about small/single line patches, but
it's worthwhile pointing out that precommit can fall apart if commits
aren't squashed.  There's a very big risk that github PR's are multiple
commits spanning multiple different change sets.  We should probably add
some smarts to the github support to grab the .diff if there are no signs
of needing binary handling.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
> On Sep 28, 2016, at 7:37 AM, Casey Brotherton <cb...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> 2)  Open a Github pull request

	I realize you are thinking about small/single line patches, but it's worthwhile pointing out that precommit can fall apart if commits aren't squashed.  There's a very big risk that github PR's are multiple commits spanning multiple different change sets.  We should probably add some smarts to the github support to grab the .diff if there are no signs of needing binary handling.

	That said, if we do enable pull requests, we should also enable precommit's ability to write to github requests to get that better testing and automated feedback as well.

>  Currently the ASF GitHub Bot is not enabled for the YETUS project.

	Another thing, but unrelated, that might be useful is to actually start pulling in the Jenkins-side precommit code and try to merge these the JIRA and github functionalities. It's a big mess at the moment. :(

Re: [DISCUSS]: change suggestion for small improvements/ Github Pull for Yetus

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
One problem with #2 is that it means the contributor need not have created
an account on the ASF JIRA.

Generally I think of this as an advantage, since making yet another account
is a pretty high bar for participation from casuals. But! We rely on the
information in JIRA for authorship when making release notes, right?

I usually rely on git commits for authorship/review information when
judging things like community activity, but maybe others are relying on
JIRA?