Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Cheung, Quinn" <QC...@rheinmetall.ca> on 2007/08/13 17:08:05 UTC

Zeroconf & Chainsaw

Hi all,

I have several machines connected to chainsaw via Zeroconf & socketHubAppender. But there seems to be something strange happening with the list of connections shown in Chainsaw (see the attached image). 2 questions:

1) Why is it showing 2 entries for the connection named "socketAppender" - I don't have 2 instances running on that machine. Plus, it's showing the same port number for each of those 2 connections - there can't be 2 sockets open on the same machine with the same port!

2) How does it work for determining the name that's displayed under the "Zeroconf name" column? It seems to append a number based on the fact that the appender names are all the same, but why did it skip "socketAppender (4)" ?

Thanks and best regards.

Re: Zeroconf & Chainsaw

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 14/08/2007, at 1:08 AM, Cheung, Quinn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have several machines connected to chainsaw via Zeroconf &
> socketHubAppender. But there seems to be something strange
> happening with the list of connections shown in Chainsaw (see the
> attached image). 2 questions:

Unfortunately your screenshot was either stripped by the mailing
list, or not attached (probably the former).

> 1) Why is it showing 2 entries for the connection named
> "socketAppender" - I don't have 2 instances running on that
> machine. Plus, it's showing the same port number for each of those
> 2 connections - there can't be 2 sockets open on the same machine
> with the same port!

There does appear to be a bug somewhere where the zeroconf detection
creates 2-for-1.  I've seen it myself a few times, but can't seem to
reproduce it when I go to test and fix it.  Could we be a
synchronization bug not preventing duplicates for each zeroconf
broadcast it receives.

> 2) How does it work for determining the name that's displayed under
> the "Zeroconf name" column? It seems to append a number based on
> the fact that the appender names are all the same, but why did it
> skip "socketAppender (4)" ?

The name that is displayed is based on the Appender name.  So, if
your ZeroConfSocketHubAppender is configured with a name property
value, it should appear like that inside Chainsaw.  I can't see any
logic that appenders a number in the Zeroconf code..  Can you provide
your log4j.xml|properties file that is configuring the appender side
of things?

You can send me the screenshot direct to my email address if you like.

cheers,

Paul