Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/21 17:31:48 UTC

Re: svn commit: r746506 - in /commons/proper/math/trunk: pom.xml src/java/org/apache/commons/math/util/MathUtils.java src/site/xdoc/changes.xml src/test/org/apache/commons/math/util/MathUtilsTest.java

luc@apache.org wrote: }

>      /**
> +     * Returns true iff both arguments are equal or within the range of allowed
> +     * error (inclusive).
> +     *
> +     * @param x first value
> +     * @param y second value
> +     * @param eps the amount of absolute error to allow
> +     * @return true if the values are equal or within range of each other
> +     */
> +    public static boolean equals(double x, double y, double eps) {
> +      return x == y || (x < y && (x + eps) >= y) || (x > y && x <= (y + eps));
> +    }

Any reason not to just code this as Math.abs(x - y) <= eps  ?

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
>> luc@apache.org wrote: }
>>

>>>      /**
>>> +     * Returns true iff both arguments are equal or within the range
>>> of allowed
>>> +     * error (inclusive).
>>> +     * +     * @param x first value
>>> +     * @param y second value
>>> +     * @param eps the amount of absolute error to allow
>>> +     * @return true if the values are equal or within range of each
>>> other
>>> +     */
>>> +    public static boolean equals(double x, double y, double eps) {
>>> +      return x == y || (x < y && (x + eps) >= y) || (x > y && x <= (y
>>> + eps));
>>> +    }
>>>

>> Any reason not to just code this as Math.abs(x - y) <= eps  ?
>>

> I think infinities are handled properly by the first x == y and would
> not be handled by the subtraction.
> However thinking further about it, there is another problem with the
> current implementation, it does not handle NaN the same way as equals
> with no tolerance.
>
> So what about:
>
>    return equals(x, y) || Math.abs(x - y) <= eps
>
> Luc

+1 - and we should include javadoc and test cases for infinities and NaNs

Phil

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.