Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alvin_my <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/07 22:09:53 UTC

Help!! TextField in ListView = NULL

Hi,
I am very new with wicket and I have a problem with TextField within
ListView , I try to getModelObject from the Textfield but return NULL ?

I am trying my best to find the solution, unfortunately I am running out of
time with my final project. Already spent 2 days dealing with this small
problem :,(

Hope you guys can help. Below is the some part of the codes:

                textfieldModel = new Model("");
                textField = new TextField("textfield",textfieldModel );
                listItem.add(textField);

                listItem.add(saveLink = new Link("saveLink") {
                    public void onClick() {
                        String myText = (String) textField.getModelObject();
                        info("#######  myText  = "+myText );
                    }
                });

Thanks!!

Re: Help!! TextField in ListView = NULL

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
2 days without using google [1,2]?

listview.setreuseitems(true);

Martijn

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=wicket+form+component+listview
[2] http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/listview-and-other-repeaters.html#ListViewandotherrepeaters-Usingformcomponentsinarepeater

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM, Alvin_my <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am very new with wicket and I have a problem with TextField within
> ListView , I try to getModelObject from the Textfield but return NULL ?
>
> I am trying my best to find the solution, unfortunately I am running out of
> time with my final project. Already spent 2 days dealing with this small
> problem :,(
>
> Hope you guys can help. Below is the some part of the codes:
>

>                textfieldModel = new Model("");
>                textField = new TextField("textfield",textfieldModel );
>                listItem.add(textField);
>
>                listItem.add(saveLink = new Link("saveLink") {
>                    public void onClick() {
>                        String myText = (String) textField.getModelObject();
>                        info("#######  myText  = "+myText );
>                    }
>                });
>
> Thanks!!

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released

Re: Help!! TextField in ListView = NULL

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
Have you done any web development before using Wicket?

If so, you should be able to solve this problem by asking yourself the
following questions:

What happens if you click a link on a web page?
Do you think the browser sends the data in a text field on the page to
the server if you click a link?
What about if you put the <input> tag in a <form> and click a link?
What about if you put the <input> tag in a <form> and click a submit button?

In short, I'd suggest thinking a little more about the fundamentals
before playing around with user input in listviews. Have a look at the
examples.

Alastair

P.S.  There are ways to do what you're trying to do without needing to
put things in a form, etc., but they involve AJAX and therefore
probably aren't the best solution for whatever it is you're trying to
do.

Posted by Alvin_my <al...@gmail.com>.