Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Nicolas Toper <nt...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/19 00:54:20 UTC

Any Projet for Google Summer of Code?

Hello,

Jackrabbit is a great product. I have installed and tested it. I would like
now to help you in your development effort.

I was thinking of getting involved in distribution issue ( such as
replication, clustering, fail over,...). I am currently finishing a master
of computer science with a focus on distributed computing. As a student, I
can apply for Google Summer of Code if you present any projects.

Are you going to? If yes, which projects?

Thanks a lot
nicolas
http://www.deviant-abstraction.net

Re: Any Projet for Google Summer of Code?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 4/28/06, Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org> wrote:
> i wish i could, but i will be on an extended vacation for the first
> half of the summer. i've had to decline mentoring osaf-sponsored
> projects for the same reason :/

OK, have a nice vacation!

> btw- i proposed the jcr mock implementation under the cosmo umbrella
> at osaf, but i'd be happy to remove it in favor of a
> jackrabbit-sponsored project. even if it is mentored by someone at
> osaf, thought, we'll certainly offer the code to jackrabbit.

Cool! It's probably better if you keep the project at Cosmo at least
for now for simplicity and diversity. I'd be happy to share some ideas
and advice though, if you get the mock implementation project.

I've posted another proposal for a backup-restore tool (see
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006#jackrabbit-backup).
Two projects is the extent to which I'm ready to commit myself as a
mentor. Let's see how these projects turn out if we get them.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Any Projet for Google Summer of Code?

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 4/20/06, Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org> wrote:
> i can think of three projects off the top of my head:
>
> 1) jmx support for jackrabbit
> 2) mock implementation of jcr
> 3) scriptable data migration tool (along the lines i described on this
> list a few weeks ago)
>
> i'm not sure if any of these are of large enough scope though.

Would you be willing to mentor or co-mentor a project like one of
those? Any of those features would be great to have.

PS. I've just posted a Summer of Code proposal about JAAS
authorization in Jackrabbit. See
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006#jackrabbit-jaas-authorization
for the details.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Any Projet for Google Summer of Code?

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 4/19/06, Nicolas Toper <nt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jackrabbit is a great product. I have installed and tested it. I would like
> now to help you in your development effort.

Great!

> I was thinking of getting involved in distribution issue ( such as
> replication, clustering, fail over,...). I am currently finishing a master
> of computer science with a focus on distributed computing. As a student, I
> can apply for Google Summer of Code if you present any projects.
>
> Are you going to? If yes, which projects?

There hasn't been any discussion about possible Summer of Code
projects, but the idea is certainly not overruled. The issue tracker
lists access control improvements and clustering options as the most
voted-for issues, and at the moment nobody is actively working on
them, so those would be excellent areas for such projects.

Do we have committers who would be interested in mentoring a project
like this? I might not have enough time for that during the summer so
I can't promise anything.

BTW, does anyone know how strict the "experienced committer"
requirement mentioned on
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006 is?

BR,

Jukka Zitting