Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Piotr Bzdyl <pi...@bzdyl.net> on 2005/11/02 12:40:54 UTC

[m2] Artifact with web resources (images, css etc.)

Hi,

How should I handle artifact with web resources? Lets assume that I
create JSF web UI components which consists of Java classes packaged in
the Jar file and web resources (images, css and javascript library
files). Shouldn't be there something like web-resources packaging type
(<packaging>web-resources</packaging>) and artifact called ie.
my-component-1.0.web-resources (it could be simple jar/zip file with all
resources which could be unzipped into root dir of the webapp)? Then I
could specify three poms for my project:

pom.xml for my-jsf-component root project:
<project>
  <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
  <artifactId>my-jsf-component</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <modules>
    <module>my-jsf-component-lib</module>
    <module>my-jsf-component-resources</module>
 </modules>
</project>

pom.xml for my-jsf-component-resources:
<project>
  <parent>......</parent>
  <artifactId>my-jsf-component-resources</artifactId>
  <packaging>web-resources</packaging>
</project>

pom.xml for my-jsf-component-lib:
<project>
  <parent>......</parent>
  <artifactId>my-jsf-component-lib</artifactId>
  <packaging>jar</packaging>
  <dependencyManagement>
    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
        <artifactId>my-jsf-component-resources</artifactId>
        <version>1.0</version>
        <type>web-resources</type>
      </dependency>
  </dependencyManagement>
</project>

pom.xml for my-jsf-component-resources:
<project>
  <parent>......</parent>
  <artifactId>my-jsf-component-resources</artifactId>
  <packaging>web-resources</packaging>
</project>

Then maven-resources-plugin or maven-war-plugin could just fetch that
jar/zip file from the repository and unzip it to the target webapp
directory.

Do you have better ideas?

Best regards,
Piotrek

Re: [m2] Artifact with web resources (images, css etc.)

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 02/11/05, Piotr Bzdyl <pi...@bzdyl.net> wrote:
> Actually, I already added my comment on this
> (http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-896#action_49155), but I am asking
> here because maybe somebody solve this problem in other way.

So you did, that'll teach me to read properly.. :)

I currently get around the applet problem via a custom ant script that
uses the maven ant targets to download the applet to the webapp target
dir.  Although I can't run the ant script via antrun due to another
issue (MNG-1017) ..

Mark

Re: [m2] Artifact with web resources (images, css etc.)

Posted by Piotr Bzdyl <pi...@bzdyl.net>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 02/11/05, Piotr Bzdyl <pi...@bzdyl.net> wrote:

> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-896
> >
> BTW: when is it expected to be solved?

It's destined for 2.0.1, so hopefully soonish.

Mark

Re: [m2] Artifact with web resources (images, css etc.)

Posted by Piotr Bzdyl <pi...@bzdyl.net>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Piotr,

There's a similar issue open regarding including artifacts at the
root-level of a war:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-896

This would be for applets, JNLP apps, etc. but could be extended to
explode specified dependencies as well - maybe worth adding your use
case there to keep things together.

Cheers,

Mark