Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Henning Groß <h....@tarent.de> on 2011/01/11 14:21:31 UTC

version number conflicts between maven and microsoft, possible solution

Hi!
We build solutions for sharepoint AND we use maven repositories.
Theres a problem. Maven plugins rely on the maven version number convention.
For example "1.0.1-SNAPSHOT" Sharepoint will not install the solution. Not
even "1.0.1". It requires the version number to be four dot-seperated integer
values.
If I change the version number in the pom.xml to microsoft-compatibility some
things will not work any more:

- maven deploy plugin wont install snapshots in snapshot repositories
- maven release plugin wont function without user interaction (we need that
for hudson builds)
- maven assembly plugin propably (not tested) will not be able to remove
version from filename I guess.
- a lot of other plugins will fail to work properly

I would love to have an option in the compile plugin which converts maven type
version numbers to microsoft compatibility.
Like "1.0.1" gets converted to "1.0.1.1" and 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT gets converted to
something like 1.0.1.0 or something more or less clever.

Some more people up to this?

By the way, there is a slight chance, I could get my company give me some time
to implement stuff like this and contribute if there is interest. Until then
I will continue sending my ideas to this mailing list. Maybe someone of the
contributors likes the ideas and minds implementing them.
Cheers!
H.

--
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH
Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Elmar Geese

Heilsbachstraße 24,  53123 Bonn,   Telefon: +49 228 52675-0
Thiemannstraße 36 a, 12059 Berlin, Telefon: +49 30 5682943-30
Internet: http://www.tarent.de/  • Telefax: +49 228 52675-25

Re: version number conflicts between maven and microsoft, possible solution

Posted by me...@lcorneliussen.de.
Hi,

actually in my projects I do not use the
'npanday.plugin:maven-compile-plugin:generate-assembly-info'-goals.

You can have a look at the implementation in ''

http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=de#D6C2iC2Ltlw/components/dotnet-assembler/src/main/java/npanday/assembler/impl/AssemblerContextImpl.java&q=assemblercontext&exact_package=git://github.com/apache/npanday.git&sa=N&cd=2&ct=rc

Alternatively use maven-replacer-plugin to do your own creation...

hope that helped,
Lars