Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/30 02:21:19 UTC

Re: Ideas for Getting the word out -- IDE projects examples

On May 29, 2011, at 5:21 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> The assumption that everybody knows maven is a dangerous one.

You made a bit of a jump there :)  But important subject so splitting it out.

> Examples
> should also be packaged so that they could be imported into IDE's i.e. zip
> files for eclipse, idea and netbeans. People typically have their favorite
> IDE's already installed on their machines and giving the ability to import
> examples directly into the IDE and "Get Started " is very effective.
> The thing with only relying on maven is that if somebody does not have it
> installed, they first have to install it, then they also need to know a bit
> of it. I know that you can always tell them to simply run mvn clean install
> to run the example, but for people not exposed to maven, there is always a
> feeling of "I think maven did some magic to make it work. Wonder what it
> would take to get this example working in my IDE" - and this is where we can
> potentially leave a bad taste. "First impression is a lasting one" - lets
> try and make that first impression a great one

I wonder if more videos could help here?  We have one, but we could have many more.

  http://vimeo.com/6149008

Probably one of those good ideas lack of time as prevented from happening.

-David